NEW DELHI (AP) — An alleged rape victim in northern India set on fire on her way to a court hearing in the case she filed died in a hospital in New Delhi, officials said Saturday.
The woman was attacked by a group of men in the state of Uttar Pradesh, including two of the five men she had accused of gang-rape last year who were out of custody on bail.
Five men were arrested in connection with the burn attack.
The 23-year-old woman suffered extensive injuries and was airlifted Thursday from Uttar Pradesh to Safdarjung Hospital in New Delhi, where she died late Friday of cardiac arrest, according to Dr. Shalab Kumar, head of the hospital’s burn unit.
The woman’s death came on the same day police in the southern state of Telangana fatally shot four men being held on suspicion of raping and killing a 27-year-old veterinarian after investigators took them to the crime scene. Their deaths drew both praise and condemnation in a case that has sparked protests across the country.
- Boy, 5, allegedly gang raped in brutal attack on Cape York beach
- Gurgaon: 26-year-old woman gang-raped in moving car, thrown out in Delhi
- Rohtak gang rape: Woman’s skull shattered, objects inserted into private parts
- 10 RAPE INCIDENTS IN A ROW: Girl, 13, drugged, gang-raped, dumped in car in Kaduna
- Delhi gang rape case: Move away from ‘masculinist’ responses to rape
- December 16 gang rape: The real reason why Khairlanji or Bilkis Bano don’t trigger a ‘tsunami of shock’
- Woman among 12 held for gang-rape
- UNIBEN student murder: FG orders investigation of student’s gang-rape, murder, abuse of minor
- Boy, 5, ‘gang-raped by group of children on remote Australian beach’ as victim is left with horror injuries
- Gang-raped on a pool table in front of cheering pub punters & then killed – the true story of Netflix’s Trial By Media
- Police collect more evidence in Kadinamkulam gang rape case
- Indian Police Arrest Gang Leader who Ambushed and Killed 8 Policemen in Kanpur Raid
- Woman allegedly raped by 25-year-old man at COVID-19 centre in Panvel
- Group of children 'gang-rape boy, 5, on remote Australian beach'
- Jilted lover rapes woman with friend, beats her to death with bricks in Rohtak
- Student raped and killed in church wanted to become a minister and 'preach the word of God,' sister says
- Minor rape victim set afire, dies
- Araria rape victim gets bail in case of assault on court staff
- Enraged father strangles his 17-year-old ‘rape victim’ daughter to death in her sleep in 'honour killing' after finding out she was pregnant in India
- Minor rape victim in Bhiwani set afire, dies of burns
Indian woman who alleged gang-rape dies after burn attack have 663 words, post on www.chron.com at December 7, 2019. This is cached page on Asean News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.