Trimble was a headache for the Wildcats from the opening tip-off. He dropped eight points in the opening term on his way to 23.
Watch LIVE coverage of the 2019/20 NBL Season plus up to 7 live NBA games every week with ESPN on KAYO. New to Kayo? Get your 14-day free trial & start streaming instantly >
Long also scored 23 points, almost half of them from big dunks that will feature on the highlight reel.
He completed a double-double, with 13 rebounds, as did Mitch McCarron. Long’s work on the boards also took away one of Perth’s great advantages, their second chance scoring.
In one and two-point victories over Melbourne earlier this the season, the Wildcats scored 18 and 19 points respectively from offensive rebounds that they turned into scores.
On Saturday, they had zero from this method by half-time and finished with only six for the game.
In fact, scoring was difficult for the Cats throughout. They were 16 points down at the last break having dropped just three of 20 attempts from long range. They finished with six from 27 attempts, while Melbourne dropped 11 triples. Bryce Cotton managed only 15 points at 29 per cent but was still Perth’s leading scorer.
The result ended a four-game winning streak for the second-placed Wildcats, on the same day ladder-leaders Sydney lost to the Brisbane Bullets. It was the first time Melbourne had won back-to-back games since claiming victory in six straight games from rounds five to eight.
Impressively, both games were on the road.
MELBOURNE UNITED 87 (R Trimble 23 S Long 23 M Mccarron 12) PERTH WILDCATS 74 (B Cotton 15 T White 14 N Kay 11) at RAC Arena
- Melbourne IT to rebrand as Arq Group, create 270 jobs
- An 87-year-old woman with Alzheimer's disease is reported missing. Have you seen her?
- Beats unveils the $229 Pill+, its first Bluetooth speaker under Apple's umbrella
- White attacker found guilty in beating of a black man in Charlottesville parking garage
- Comments for : NVIDIA Tegra 4 beats Qualcomm Snapdragon 600 in benchmark tests
- Crankshaft turns a Raspberry Pi 3 and a touchscreen into an Android Auto head unit
- Capitol Watch: Senate Dems unite, special elections loom
- Apple voted top brand in the United Arab Emirates
- Davis Cup: Rafael Nadal Dominates Alexander Zverev, Spain Beat Germany
- A Corvette-powered British 4×4? Wildcat’s Land Rover Defender has it all