New Delhi: Megastar Rajinikanth turned 70 on December 12 and on the special day, his ocean of fan following made sure he trends big time on Twitter. Several hashtags like #HBDThalaivarSuperstarRAJINI, #HBDSuperstarRajinikanth and #HappyBirthdayRajinikanth are trending on top.
Thalaiva made his debut in K. Balachander’s Tamil drama Apoorva Raagangal (1975). Born as Shivaji Rao Gaekwad, Rajini served as a bus conductor during his initial days. It was in 1973 that he joined the Madras Film Institute to pursue a diploma in acting.
Rajinikanth married Latha Rangachari on February 26, 1981, and the couple is blessed with two daughters Aishwarya Rajinikanth and Soundarya Rajinikanth.
He has acted in many Tamil, Telugu, Kannada and several Hindi films. His film ‘Sivaji’ in 2007 minted huge moolah at the box office making him the highest-paid actor in Asia after Jackie Chan at the time.
He was honoured him with the Padma Bhushan in 2000 and the Padma Vibhushan in 2016 for his contributions to the arts.
Some of the popular Rajinikanth films include ‘Ilamai Oonjal Aadukirathu’, ‘Thalapathi`, ‘Chandramukhi’, ‘Annamalai`, `Basha`, `Padayappa`, ‘Sivaji’, `Enthiran`, ‘Katha Sangama’, ‘Puttanna Kanagal’, ‘Moondru Mudichu’, ‘Shankar Salim Simon’, ‘Gayathri’, ‘Galate Samsara’, ‘Kabali’ amongst various others.
Rajinikanth is involved with several philanthropic activities and is reportedly ready to take the plunge into politics.
Here’s wishing him a very happy birthday!
- Analysis | When Communist China turns 70
- Netanyahu Turns 70: Biggest Scandals and Achievements of Israel's Longest-Serving Prime Minister
- Gardeners' Question Time expert answers 10 big questions as show turns 70 years old
- Euronews answers: The Council of Europe turns 70, but what does it do?
- Rajinikanth in 2.0 once again proves his super stardom is here to stay, politics not a hurdle
- Sara Ali Khan, Tara Sutaria, Kriti Sanon show us how to rock the neon trend. See pics
- #ElPasoChallenge Trends After 11-Year-Old Boy Urges Doing A Good Deed for Every Life Lost in Shooting
- Celebrity stylist Ami Patel on wedding fashion trends, menswear trends and more
- Trend Alert: Ugly ’90s fashion is back. Think of this as a to-don’t list
- Sara Ali Khan or Alia Bhatt who wore this blue kurta-palazzo trend better. See pics