In an exclusive chat with TimesofIndia.com, Akbar Khan poured his heart out about his struggles, unconditional passion for music and more…
“My family is having a debt of Rs 35 lakhs and from the past few years, I’m struggling to repay it. Every month I’m in need of a minimum of Rs. 1 lakh. From driving a JCB to singing in stage shows, I try my best to support my family,” Akbar opens up.
The singer got emotional revealing that there were moments when money lenders had threatened him minutes before his performance in a show.
Despite the struggles, the passionate singer is not ready to give up music.
“The moment I come here for the grooming session, I put all my sorrows aside and gel with the team. I make sure to entertain everyone and make the sets around me lively,” Akbar says with his signature smile.
Akbar says his entry into the show was a ‘pure accident’. The singer, who came to meet the producer of the show, ended up getting selected in the show. However, Akbar is thankful to the show for helping him broaden his spectrum and try different genres of music.
“I always thought that Arabic music was my forte. But, this show helped me explore myself. I could try genres like classical music which I was never confident about,” the singer shares.
Akbar also shared that he feels blessed to sing in front of music directors like Shaan Rahman and Gopi Sundar, whom he had earlier requested chances to sing in their movies. With sheer merit, Akbar has already sung in 7 movies and started establishing as a playback singer.
The recent episode when Akbar was denied 100 marks for one of his performances on the show created a lot of buzz on social media. Netizens criticised the judgment of mentor Mithun Jayraj for the performances. Sharing his thoughts on this, Akbar said, “It is obviously a sad moment when you miss a blockbuster by a half mark. But, this makes me realise that there was a slightest flaw in my singing which I should correct next time,” he states.
The singer who had quit his job to pursue his passion for music once is now sure that he would never give up on his talent. Akbar signed off sharing that his biggest wish in life is to become an established Arabic pop singer one day.
- Watch: Sa Re Ga Ma Pa Keralam judge Sujatha Mohan gets emotional as she gets felicitated by daughter Swetha Mohan
- Sa Re Ga Ma Pa L’il Champs: Young contestant teaches judge Alka Yagnik how to sing
- Tujhse Hai Raabta's Sehban Azim sets the stage on fire at Salaam-E-Ishq despite injury
- ‘There’s a magical power in Rahman Sir’s studio’: Singer Nakul Abhyankar
- T20 World Cup newsfile: Nahida replaces injured Bismah for remainder of T20 World Cup
- T20 World Cup newsfile: 'Probably the biggest contribution I've made' - Wolvaardt
- T20 World Cup newsfile: Losses 'a wake-up call' to improve our skills - Thailand's Boochatham
- Netflix, Disney or Amazon: Who Wins the War for Streaming in India?
Sa Re Ga Ma Pa Keralam contestant Akbar Khan: I put all my sorrows aside the moment I enter the sets have 579 words, post on timesofindia.indiatimes.com at December 9, 2019. This is cached page on Asean News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.