December 11, 2019 12:01
The U.S. has requested a meeting of the UN Security Council on Wednesday after North Korea tested what appears to have been a liquid-fuel engine for an intercontinental ballistic missile.
The U.S. has been looking the other way when the North test-fired short-range missiles in recent months and refused to comply with calls by the U.K., France and Germany to convene a UN Security Council meeting.
But it considers its mainland under threat from North Korean long-range missiles and has suddenly realized the urgency of the matter.
The U.S. requested a UN Security Council meeting to discuss the potential launch of an ICBM by the North. European members of the UN Security Council sought to convene the meeting on Tuesday, but the U.S. wanted a day later.
A spokesman for the U.S. State Department told the Chosun Ilbo that it has asked for its UN representative to be present at the meeting that will discuss “the latest developments on the Korean Peninsula,” which “include the North’s latest missile launches and potential escalation in provocations.”
North Korea said Saturday that it conducted a “very important test” at a test site for intercontinental ballistic missiles in Tongchang-ri near the Chinese border.
South Korean Ambassador to the UN Cho Hyun will also attend the meeting.
Meanwhile, Defense Minister Jeong Kyeong-doo told reporters at a Korea-Australia foreign and defense ministers’ meeting in Sydney on Tuesday, “We express deep concerns over North Korea’s continued ballistic missile tests and engine test in Tongchang-ri.”
Foreign Minister Kang Kyung-wha also said Korea and Australia worry about the North’s latest provocations and pledged to continue working together for peace on the Korean Peninsula.
- Copyright © Chosunilbo & Chosun.com
- US warns Kim Jong-un of ‘total annihilation’ after North Korean despot’s new H-bomb test
- North Korea threatens to ‘end the US’ as UK warns Kim Jong-un’s nuclear provocations could be ‘catastrophic’
- South Korea warns it will ‘bury’ the North if Kim Jong-un dares attack as army chiefs launch ANOTHER round of live-fire exercises
- US warns North Korea regime will be "utterly destroyed" if war breaks out as Trump says Kim Jong-un is a "sick puppy"
- North Korea missile-launch footage emerges as Kim Jong-un claims he is close to military ‘equilibrium’ with United States
- North Korea fires new version of ballistic missile
- Cackling Kim Jong-un pictured celebrating launch of new Hwasong-15 mega-missile that US says ‘brings us closer to war’
- Rex Tillerson: China and Russia's ties with North Korea undermining peace efforts
- Rex Tillerson: China and Russia's North Korea ties undermine peace efforts
- Trump, on possibility of N.Korea talks, says: 'Who knows where it leads?'