A US state department representative for religious freedoms globally has expressed concern over the Citizenship Amendment Act and the US embassy in New Delhi has urged its citizens in northeast India to “exercise caution” in view of protests and disturbances in relation to the legislation.But the US government has not endorsed a call issued last week by an autonomous body — the US Commission on International Religious Freedom (USCIRF) — for sanctioning Indian leadership responsible for the legislation, if it was also passed in the Rajya Sabha. It did, and has been signed into a new law.Ignoring the call for sanctions, Sam Brownback, the state department’s ambassador-at-large for religious freedom sought to chide India for the legislation reminding it of its constitutional commitments. “One of #India’s great strengths is its Constitution,” he wrote on Twitter on Friday. “As a fellow democracy, we respect India’s institutions, but are concerned about the implications of the #CAB (which is now an Act, and the law). We hope the government will abide by its constitutional commitments, including on religious freedom.”Brownback is a former Republican governor of Kansas state and had been praised for his and his administration’s unequivocal condemnation of… Read full this story
- Scrutiny on State Dept. official's interactions with Rudy Giuliani
- Pak woman gets Indian citizenship after 35 years
- EXCLUSIVE: Local officials warn moving New York's presidential primary will cause state to lose delegates
- Experts: New Clinton State Dept. emails show donor ‘access,’ not ‘favors’
- Justice Dept. official Gary Grindler says New York City 9/11 KSM terror trial 'not off table'
- Giuliani Says Some of the Documents State Dept IG Handed to Congress Came From Him
- Giuliani Says Some of the Documents State Dept IG Handed to Congress Came From Him - The Daily Beast
- Giuliani says State Dept vowed to investigate after he gave Ukraine docs to Pompeo - NBC News
- Get green card through lottery by State Dept.
- Fitton: Obama State Dept Conspiracy Against Trump?
US state dept official expresses concern over new Indian citizenship law have 333 words, post on www.hindustantimes.com at December 14, 2019. This is cached page on Asean Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.