Video PlayerClose KABUL, Jan. 14 (Xinhua) — The humanitarian community will need some 733 million U.S. dollars to help needy people in Afghanistan this year, the United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) in Afghanistan reported on Tuesday. “In 2020, humanitarian partners have identified 9.4 million people in need of humanitarian and protection assistance. From these, humanitarian partners have prioritised some 7.1 million people to receive life-saving assistance in 2020, for which 733 million U.S. dollars is required,” the agency said in a statement. Prolonged conflict in Afghanistan has resulted in high numbers of civilian deaths and injuries, and protracted displacement for millions, the statement said, adding “many millions of people are still reeling from the crippling effects of the 2018-19 drought and struggling to recover.” The cumulative impacts of decades of war, combined with recurrent natural disasters and chronic poverty, have resulted in crippling debt and depleted people’s capacity to cope with repeated shocks, the statement read. “Over 14 million people are projected to experience crisis and emergency levels of food insecurity in the first quarter of 2020. Malnutrition is soaring, with over 3 million children and women acutely malnourished, requiring specialized nutrition supplies and medicines,”… Read full this story
- Gardai seek public's assistance in helping locate missing 45-year-old man
- Your Questions: Is there any financial assistance to help me out as a landlord?
- These Zimbabweans have extraordinary stories and now they need help
- ‘I knew I needed help’
- How to let police know you need help if it's not safe to talk
- Constrained coastal areas ‘need help not another whipping’ over housebuilding rates
- Those who know 'Kiwi Jihadi' Mark Taylor say he's vulnerable, lonely, needs help
- Injured OAP needs help finding his car after nasty fall
- Postie who said he needed help dressing himself jailed for claiming £30k
- Police need help catching La Familia Market robber
733-mln-USD humanitarian assistance needed to help Afghans in 2020 have 309 words, post on www.xinhuanet.com at January 14, 2020. This is cached page on Asean Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.