KABUL, Jan. 14 (Xinhua) — The humanitarian community will need some 733 million U.S. dollars to help needy people in Afghanistan this year, the United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) in Afghanistan reported on Tuesday.
“In 2020, humanitarian partners have identified 9.4 million people in need of humanitarian and protection assistance. From these, humanitarian partners have prioritised some 7.1 million people to receive life-saving assistance in 2020, for which 733 million U.S. dollars is required,” the agency said in a statement.
Prolonged conflict in Afghanistan has resulted in high numbers of civilian deaths and injuries, and protracted displacement for millions, the statement said, adding “many millions of people are still reeling from the crippling effects of the 2018-19 drought and struggling to recover.”
The cumulative impacts of decades of war, combined with recurrent natural disasters and chronic poverty, have resulted in crippling debt and depleted people’s capacity to cope with repeated shocks, the statement read.
“Over 14 million people are projected to experience crisis and emergency levels of food insecurity in the first quarter of 2020. Malnutrition is soaring, with over 3 million children and women acutely malnourished, requiring specialized nutrition supplies and medicines,” the statement noted.
More than 1 million Afghans have been displaced due to conflicts since 2001 as worsening security situation and the ongoing insurgency have forced the people to leave their houses for safer places.
In 2019, over 414,000 people displaced due to heavy clashes between security forces and Taliban militants or drought, according to official figures.
- Humanitarian Aid Needed for 100,000 Trapped in S. Sudan’s Town of Yei
- 'We've been forgotten, we need help': Former Big Brother winner Reggie Bird struggles to get government funds to support her son's cystic fibrosis disability as she goes blind
- 13 Parent Assists to Help Children Become Tech-Savvy Users
- Hunters and Wildlife Need Help From Congress
- Katy Christian Ministries needs help filling ‘Santa’s Sleigh’
- Joaquin Castro sneaks camera into Border Patrol facility, shares photos of migrants who 'need help'
- 'Devastated at his loss and ashamed I didn't recognise he needed help': RHOS star Lisa Oldfield mourns the death of her friend and advocates for suicide prevention charity R U OK?
- 'Someone feed this beautiful girl - she needs help!' MAFS fans express fears for Elizabeth Sobinoff's shrinking figure and claim she looks 'way too thin' and 'absolutely ill'
- EXCLUSIVE: Majek Fashek’s manager confirms legendary singer ‘gravelly ill,’ needs help (VIDEOS)
- Moment new dad realised he needed help