Tran Thi Nguyet, 46, struck a deal with Nguyen Dinh Thao, 28, and Nguyen Van No, 38, to buy dogs they steal for VND40,000 ($1.7) per kilogram, police in the Central Highlands province said on Tuesday. Nguyet supplied the dogs to local restaurants.
No and Thao were arrested after they stole seven dogs and brought them to Nguyet last Sunday.
The police also seized from them 55 kg of dog meat, tapes, a taser, and a motorbike.
Nguyet has reportedly bought around 14 tons worth of dogs from the duo since last year. If an average dog weighed 15 kg, almost 1,000 dogs passed through their hands.
No and Thao stole five to seven animals every night, the police said.
Vietnam consumes an estimated five million dogs a year, second only to China’s 20 million.
Many of the dogs that make it to the frying pan are stolen pets sold to small, unregulated abattoirs and killed in brutal ways.
Dog theft is treated as a crime only when a canine is valued at more than VND2 million ($86). There’s no law against trading dog meat.
- Human DNA Found in Hot Dogs
- Sugar Land Skeeters introduce new bat dog Kovu
- Lawsuit claims deadly horse meat is to blame for outbreak that sickened several dogs this year, killing at least one
- Five arrested for hacking into ATMs and stealing $3.2 million
- Militarized police gone wild across America; terrorizing citizens, shooting pet dogs, behaving like occupying military force
- SMS stealing apps uploaded to Google Play by Carberp banking malware gang
- Not even good enough for dog food: Imported food from China loaded with chemicals, dyes, pesticides and fake ingredients
- UK Police Arrest 19 in Zeus Crimeware Bust
- Study reveals that pet cats and dogs account for 30 percent of meat consumption in the U.S.
- Authorities dismantle criminal gang that used malware to steal from ATMs
- Ukranian Police Arrest Five, Targeting Brains of Zeus Botnet
- China continues to steal high-tech trade secrets
- 12 Suspected Cybercriminals Arrested in Russia Along with Blackhole Creator
- Horse Meat Scandal Shakes Up Europe
- Six China residents charged with stealing US mobile phone technology
- 94 Migrants Arrested in 6-Day Texas-Oklahoma Enforcement Op
- Maintain Sharp Vigilance! 14 Everyday Foods that Can Kill Your Pet
- UK Police Arrest Six in Student Loan Phishing Scam
- Iggy Pop Wants to Steal Your Eyeballs
- Review: Voyce is the wellness monitor for dogs that makes wearables vividly relevant
Gang arrested after stealing 14 tons of dogs for meat have 373 words, post on e.vnexpress.net at January 15, 2020. This is cached page on Asean News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.