Hong Kong authorities activated a newly created serious response level Saturday as fears spread about a mysterious infectious disease that may have been brought back by visitors to a mainland Chinese city.Five possible cases have been reported of a viral pneumonia that has also infected at least 44 people in Wuhan, an inland city west of Shanghai and about 900 km north of Hong Kong.The outbreak, which emerged last month, has revived memories of the 2002-2003 SARS epidemic that started in southern China and killed more than 700 people in the mainland, Hong Kong and elsewhere.The serious response level indicates a moderate impact on Hong Kong’s population of 7.5 million people. It is the second highest in a three-tier system that is part of a new government plan launched Saturday to respond to infectious diseases of unknown cause.The city’s health department added an additional thermal imaging system at Hong Kong’s airport on Friday to check the body temperature of arriving passengers. More staff have been assigned for temperature checks at the West Kowloon high-speed rail station that connects Hong Kong to the mainland.City leader Carrie Lam, on a visit to the train station Friday to review the health surveillance measures,… Read full this story
- Lawmakers express “deep concern” over Blizzard’s Hong Kong protest response
- Blizzard president gives vague apology for Hong Kong protest response
- Identity Crisis Due to Hong Kong’s Economic Eclipse by China Underlies Protests
- Blizzard reinstates Hong Kong protestor’s prize, says “China had no influence”
- Pro-Communist Hong Kong Lawmaker Junius Ho Stabbed on Video
- World's longest bridge further blurs lines between China and Hong Kong
- Hong Kong voters 'would be confused by too many candidates'
- Hong Kong opens Runway for Indian FinTechs to enter SE Asia
- Is it too late to save Hong Kong from Beijing’s authoritarian grasp?
- Missing Hong Kong bookseller 'confesses' on Chinese state TV
Hong Kong steps up response to mystery disease from China have 322 words, post on www.thehindu.com at January 4, 2020. This is cached page on Asean Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.