Shiv Jayanti or Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj Jayanti is the birth anniversary of Maratha king Shivaji. Shiv Jayanti is celebrated on February 19 every year in his honour.
The creator and founder of the Maratha Empire, Shivaji was born in 1630 at Shivneri Fort near Pune. This year marks the 390th birth anniversary of the great Maratha.
Shivaji Jayanti is mainly observed in Maharashtra and is a public holiday in the state. The day is celebrated with much fanfare and people organise cultural programmes and processions in his honour.
History and significance of Shiv Jayanti
Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj Jayanti or Shiv Jayanti was started in 1870 by Mahatma Jyotirao Phule, who had discovered the tomb of Shivaji Maharaj on Raigad, from around 100 km from Pune. The celebrations were first held in Pune.
The tradition was later followed by noted freedom fighter Bal Gangadhar Tilak who popularised the image of Shivaji Maharaj by highlighting his contributions. Tilak helped bring together people during the Independence movement through Shiv Jayanti and stood up against British rule.
The day also sees the confluence of the rich and diverse cultural heritage of the Maratha community. People remember and praise Shivaji Maharaj’s bravery and intellect that he showcased while tackling his enemies.
Facts about Chhatrapati Shivaji
Shivaji Maharaj or Shivaji Bhosale is known for creating an advanced and well-structured civil administration system.
He carved out an enclave from the declining Adilshahi sultanate of Bijapur that became the foundation stone of the Maratha Empire.
He was named after a regional Goddess Shivai. According to popular legend, his mother prayed to the goddess for a son and was blessed with him. Shivaji Maharaj was formally crowned as the Chhatrapati, or emperor of the Maratha Empire, in 1674. The coronation took place at the Raigad fort.
Shivaji promoted the use of Marathi and Sanskrit in court and administration, rather than using Persian which was the norm in those times.
- Shivaji Maharaj's history chapter reportedly excluded from Class IV books in Maharashtra, sparks row
- Maharashtra assembly election: How PM Narendra Modi, Amit Shah invoke Shivaji
- Mumbai airport operator's books under government lens
- WR to replace old, rickety footbridges in a year
- Central Railway to run 28 additional trains for Diwali; check full details here
- Royalty, stars, dynasts, scribes enliven Maharashtra pollscape
- Metro will finish Marathi manus: Raj Thackeray asks voter to channel anger against Sena - BJP government on voting day
- World can see new-found confidence of New India: Narendra Modi
- 'Evil designs' against nation will get befitting reply: PM Modi
- Star-studded panel for inaugural ET Panache Dialogues, art elitism to be discussed
- LOOKING AHEAD 2019: A year of landmarks
- Ten more of GVK group’s entities under MCA lens
- Have an Experience of a Lifetime!
- Democrats zero in on Warren at fourth debate
- The IOC Graciously Takes Credit For Improved Relationship On Korean Peninsula
- A Post-9/11 Veteran as President? Pete Buttigieg Makes His Case
- ***Live Updates*** Democrats Debate in Ohio
- POLITICO Playbook: Oversight Chairman Elijah Cummings dies
- Edited Transcript of GLOP earnings conference call or presentation 25-Jul-19 12:30pm GMT
- Edited Transcript of ASML.AS earnings conference call or presentation 16-Oct-19 1:00pm GMT
Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj Jayanti 2020: History and significance have 507 words, post on www.hindustantimes.com at February 19, 2020. This is cached page on Asean News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.