Gangwon Gov. Choi Moon-soon, right, and Hwang Pu-reum, an official at the Gangwon Provincial Government, pose with potatoes in a promotional video they created to sell potatoes harvested last year to help out local farmers. [HWANG PU-REUM]Since securing a box of face masks during the coronavirus outbreak has become an impossible feat these days, some people have settled instead for a box of potatoes. To be exact, 10 kilograms (22 pounds) of potatoes for just 5,000 won ($4.10).“I have potatoes at home!” read a tweet posted on Tuesday. “What a relief.”“I finally succeeded on the last day of pocketing,” another person wrote on Tuesday. “Now it’s time to collect all the recipes I can to learn what I can make with potatoes.”Pocketing is a portmanteau of “potatoes” and “ticketing,” a word often used by Koreans to describe the competitive race to secure tickets online for K-pop concerts. The race to buy potatoes from Gangwon began with an idea thought up at the Gangwon Provincial Office in early March.Gangwon Gov. Choi Moon-soon hosted a meeting at the office early in the month and told his staff about how many potato farmers in Gangwon no longer had retail partners due to school… Read full this story
- Where is the hottest place on earth, how hot are Death Valley and the Sahara desert and what’s the highest temperature on record?
- California has cheap speeding tickets, study finds. The reality is more complex — and costly
- REVEALED: The reason Theo Hayez was kicked out of a nightclub moments before he vanished - as police find out why his bus ticket was mysteriously cancelled AFTER he went missing
- 'We want dialogue': Students disappointed Kevin Yoder won't show at town hall on guns
- At student-organized town hall, Yoder opponents pledge to 'cut off legs of the NRA'
- Easter set to be HOTTEST in 70 years as Brits bask in 26C bank holiday weekend scorcher
- Trump in Asia: ‘We’re the Hottest Show in Town’
- Lava flows are hottest, fastest of latest Kilauea eruption
- As time runs out, town's $1.5B Mega Millions mystery deepens
- ‘It’s about privilege’: Meck sheriff writing tickets in a wealthy area causes backlash
Gangwon potatoes become the hottest ticket in town have 368 words, post on koreajoongangdaily.joins.com at March 30, 2020. This is cached page on Asean Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.