NEW DELHI: Close to 6300 Indian nationals abroad have tested positive for the novel coronavirus, posing a serious logistical challenge to the government as and when it decides to evacuate Indians stranded overseas. The number has almost doubled in the past 8-9 days as it stood at 3,336 on April 16. The number of deaths of Indian nationals caused by Covid-19 abroad has also shot up to 40 from 25 during this period, official sources told ToI. The infections are spread over 50 countries. Singapore and Gulf countries together account for more than 50 per cent of the infections. Singapore, in fact, has now taken over from Kuwait as the country where the highest number of Indians – more than a thousand – are infected. Official sources here said almost 90 per cent of Indians infected in Singapore were workers living in dormitories for foreign workers. They said the spread within the dormitories was expected. The Singapore government is said to be providing all medical and other assistance to the workers. Indian high commissioner Jawed Ashraf had earlier this month visited one of the dormitories where thousands of Indian workers live. Well over 2000 Indians have also been infected in… Read full this story
- Rescuers keep working in Albanian town as death toll hits 40
- 19-year-old Indian-American student found strangled to death in Chicago
- Indian Aerospace Firm Offers to Build 40 More BrahMos-Equipped Su-30MKIs
- Is Ukraine about to announce an investigation into the Bidens? Sources say officials are thinking of launching a number of new probes to boost their country's standing with President Donald Trump
- Pizza Express Black Friday – how to get a £50 gift card for £40
- Williams scores 19 in Quinnipiac’s 58-50 win
- Albania earthquake death toll climbs to 40 as hopes fade of finding anyone else alive beneath the rubble two days after country's worst quake in decades
- India vs South Africa: Virat Kohli to complete 50 Tests as captain in Pune, is he the best ever India skipper?
- US Army band plays Jana Gana Mana for Indian soldiers. Watch
- Rahul Dravid Wants IPL Franchises to Include More Indian Coaches
Covid-19: Close to 6,300 Indians infected in 50 countries, toll stands at 40 have 343 words, post on timesofindia.indiatimes.com at April 26, 2020. This is cached page on Asean Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.