Video PlayerClose LANZHOU, May 22 (Xinhua) — Chinese researchers have proposed a new correction approach to estimate land surface evaporation, according to a research article published in the Journal of Hydrometeorology. Evaporation acts as an exchange function for soil moisture and air water vapor at the land-atmosphere interface. It is a principal factor in hydrological and energy exchange. However, estimations of evaporation have great uncertainties, which are regulated by multiple factors such as wind, temperature, specific humidity, soil and vegetation. The researchers from Lanzhou University proposed a new modified approach for evaporation estimation using soil moisture changes and precipitation, which is different from the traditional method that calculates evaporation based on a water balance theory assuming that precipitation is the only source of evaporation, soil moisture and runoff. The new approach effectively corrected the estimation of evaporation throughout the global land area and showed that evaporation decreased in western Asia, western United States, the Amazon basin and Central Africa, but weakly increased in the other study regions from 1984 to 2013, as discussed in the article. Using the new approach, the researchers also discovered that the corrected evaporation was smaller in winter and high latitudes but larger in summer and… Read full this story
- Women’s Day : Women scientists urged to send research proposals to Europe
- West End prepared for record influx of Chinese tourists for New Year
- HAVE YOUR SAY: Are proposed new school hours a win for wellbeing?
- HAVE YOUR SAY: Are proposed new school hours a win for wellbeing or a problem for parents?
- Slovakia's political crisis grows as president rejects proposed new government
- Chinese scientists grow new ears for children with genetic defect
- Warning over holiday sickness claims as research shows fifth of Britons approached
- Florida governor proposes new gun sale limits after school shooting
- Researchers use new laser scanning tech to ‘weigh’ trees
- New ‘politically correct’ Army ad which says ‘It’s OK to cry’ and offers emotional support to recruits slammed by top soldier
Chinese researchers propose new evaporation correction approach have 331 words, post on www.xinhuanet.com at May 22, 2020. This is cached page on Asean Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.