While Kmart has had a stunning change of fortune and emerged as one of our leading retail brands, Target has been limping along for years. And today, the retail icon received yet another body blow after parent company Wesfarmers – which owns both brands – revealed up to 75 Target stores will be closed and up to 92 converted into Kmart outlets within 12 months. RELATED: Target stores to be shut or turned into Kmart RELATED: Bunnings reveals shock store closure The restructure means around half of Target’s 284-odd Australian stores could disappear by 2021. So where did it all go wrong for the once-booming chain? According to Queensland University of Technology retail expert Dr Gary Mortimer, it comes down to one fatal mistake – the “cannibalisation” of Target by Kmart as both brands fought for market share. ‘STRONG CANNIBALISATION’ “I don’t think there is too much shock in this announcement as most analysts identified several years ago many of the shortcomings associated with the Target brand,” Dr Mortimer said. “There is far too much crossover between the Target and Kmart brand, which caused a lot of confusion in their market position. “At one point, Target was selling MAC cosmetics… Read full this story
- Shocking moment a man, 51, sucker-punches a 5-year-old in the face and hits an 11-year-old from behind in a Target store during unprovoked attack that landed him nine years in jail
- Police Release Video of Man Attacking Children in California Target Store
- Target Stores Still Refer to the Justice League Movie as "Part 1"
- 'Green shoots' for House of Fraser but store closures still expected
- Woman, 29, eats her first meal in 2 YEARS following corrective surgery on her S-shaped spine after the first procedure went wrong and left her in a wheelchair unable to absorb any nutrients
- Why So Much Went Wrong in the Worst Episode of
- Toddler in Delhi Dies After Vomiting Blood as Medical Store Owner Gives Wrong Medicine for Fever
- REPORT: Harvey Weinstein Spotted Without His Walker At Target Store In New York
- Jimmy Garoppolo explains what went wrong in 49ers' surprising home loss to Falcons
- Yuvraj on what went wrong for India at World Cup
Target store closures: Where it all went wrong for retail icon have 359 words, post on www.news.com.au at May 23, 2020. This is cached page on Asean Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.