(CNN)President Donald Trump said he waited on imposing sanctions on Chinese officials involved in mass detention camps to avoid interfering with his China trade deal. Trump said in an interview with Axios that the reason he had not retaliated against Chinese Communist Party Officials or companies over Beijing’s internment camps that are used to hold Uyghurs and other Muslim minorities was so as not to upset negotiations. “Well, we were in the middle of a major trade deal. And I made a great deal, $250 billion potentially worth of purchases,” the President told Axios on Friday, adding, “And when you’re in the middle of a negotiation and then all of a sudden you start throwing additional sanctions on — we’ve done a lot. I put tariffs on China, which are far worse than any sanction you can think of.” What we learned from John Bolton’s eye-popping tale of working with Trump Last week, Trump’s former national security adviser claimed Trump told Chinese President Xi Jinping he should continue to build concentration camps to hold Uyghurs. The same day, the President signed a bill aiming to punish China for its human rights abuses against the Uyghur Muslim population. In an excerpt… Read full this story
- China insists Trump give up tariffs, his favorite weapon, to get a trade deal
- Trump meets with Britain's Boris Johnson, promises 'very big trade deal' between US, UK after Brexit
- Trump, Johnson in Phone Call Commit to ‘Robust’ US-UK Trade Deal After Brexit - White House
- Trump Threatens Britain: Follow US on China, or No Trade Deal
- Trump Says US Companies Should Leave China in Case of Failure to Reach Trade Deal
- The real special relationship: Could Irish-America thwart a US-UK trade deal?
- Moody's: Potential US-China Trade Deal Implies Temporary De-Escalation in Tensions
- China officials optimistic for trade deal with U.S. despite APEC setback
- The UK will never get the US trade deal it wants
- Oil rebounds to $62 on hopes for US-China trade deal
Trump delayed sanctions on Chinese officials involved in detention camps to avoid problems with trade deal have 337 words, post on edition.cnn.com at June 22, 2020. This is cached page on Asean Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.