The news was confirmed overnight to news.com.au by Victoria’s Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS). Approximately 2200 homeless people, including children, are residing “temporarily” in hotels across the state “on any given night” amid concerns COVID-19 could ravage the vulnerable. Without providing an exact figure, DHHS confirmed a “small number” had tested positive and have been moved to a “separate Isolation and Recovery Facility/s” funded by the Victorian government “for people experiencing homelessness to enable isolation and recovery”. “The facility has experienced low demand with less than a handful of cases admitted to date,” a spokesperson told news.com.au. RELATED: What stage 4 restrictions in Victoria could look like RELATED: What could trigger stage 4 restrictions in Victoria RELATED: Victorian leaders call on state to unite in fight Victoria Chief Health Officer Brett Sutton yesterday revealing the state has recorded 238 new cases. Picture: Robert CianfloneSource:Getty Images It comes as one Melbourne man, Paul Barr, told The Age earlier this month of his experience in the accommodation, which houses mostly homeless: “You hear screaming at night, ‘I want this!’ or ‘I want that!’ or whatever. Screaming in the night, three, four, five in the morning.” Mr Barr has called the… Read full this story
- Hotel revenue per room 'positive' despite VAT headwind – Davy
- Joseph O'Brien avoids sanction after horse tests positive for banned substance
- Furious backlash against Hull's Royal Hotel after 'homeless cancellation'
- Three people arrested after motorists test positive for drug driving
- Driver in custody after testing positive for Class A drug
- Royal Engineers failed the most drug tests in the military with 80 soldiers testing positive for illicit substances in one year
- British schoolboy, 15, in a coma after ‘testing positive for swine flu’
- Learner rider arrested after testing positive for cannabis
- Dog food urgently recalled after testing positive for salmonella
- More than 200 people test positive for dengue in J&K
Coronavirus Australia: Victorian hotel drama after homeless test positive for COVID-19 have 318 words, post on www.news.com.au at July 16, 2020. This is cached page on Asean Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.