MANILA, Philippines — President Rodrigo Duterte has made a plea to Chinese President Xi Jinping to allow the Philippines to be among the first to purchase the COVID-19 vaccine from them once it is available.
"Let me just mention it in passing that four days ago, I made a plea to President Xi Jinping that if they have the vaccine, can they allow us to be one of the first — or if it is needed if we have to buy it that we will be granted credit so that we can normalize as fast as possible," Duterte said in his fifth State of the Nation Address (Sona) at the Batasang Pambansa on Monday.
The Philippine government has already reached out to various COVID-19 vaccine developers from the United States, Taiwan, China , and the United Kingdom for possible purchase once vaccines have been found and become available.
Duterte has repeatedly vowed to source out funds to provide Filipinos with COVID-19 vaccines, even saying that he would sell government properties if necessary.
Over 100 potential COVID-19 vaccines are currently in development worldwide.
More than 16.2 million people worldwide have been infected with SARS-CoV-2—the new coronavirus strain that causes COVID-19—since it was first detected in Hubei, China late last year.
In the Philippines, the COVID-19 caseload already breached the 80,000 mark.
Subscribe to our daily newsletter
The Inquirer Foundation supports our healthcare frontliners and is still accepting cash donations to be deposited at Banco de Oro (BDO) current account #007960018860 or donate through PayMaya using this link .
- Facebook announces plans to block anti-vaccination content
- 'We must stop this virus in its tracks': Public Health England urges everyone to get vaccinated as official figures reveal measles cases are TWICE as high as they were at the end of 2018
- NHS staff who don't get the flu vaccine 'could wear a LABEL' because patients have the right to know and ask why, says England's Chief Medical Officer
- Samoa measles outbreak: Non-vaccinated told to tie red flag to their homes
- Samoa measles: Stuff readers raise enough money to vaccinate 22,000 children
- India vs South Africa 1st T20I preview: Where to watch live, team news, possible XI and betting odds
- India vs West Indies 3rd T20I preview: Where to watch, betting odds, possible XI
- Why the President Praises Dictators
- Trapped in a hoax: survivors of conspiracy theories speak out
- IPL 2019: I am speechless, we panicked: DC captain Shreyas Iyer
Duterte asks Xi: Prioritize PH for COVID-19 vaccine have 410 words, post on newsinfo.inquirer.net at July 27, 2020. This is cached page on Asean News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.