Video PlayerClose BEIJING, Aug. 26 (Xinhua) — A Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesperson on Wednesday slammed U.S. Defense Secretary Mark Esper’s recent allegations about the People’s Liberation Army (PLA) of China in an article published on a U.S. media outlet. “Esper’s allegations are totally groundless,” spokesperson Zhao Lijian told a daily press briefing in response, adding large numbers of facts and statistics are more than enough to debunk and shatter such lies and fallacies about the so-called “China threat.” Zhao said since 1990, the Chinese military has taken part in more than 20 United Nations peacekeeping missions, and sent 40,000-plus military personnel, making China the largest contributor of peacekeeping troops among the five permanent members of the Security Council. Meanwhile, in the 240-plus years since its founding, the United States has only seen 16 war-free years, said Zhao, adding its military budget for 2019 exceeded 716 billion U.S. dollars, equivalent to the combined military spending of the nine countries trailing the United States. While noting China pursues a national defense policy that is defensive in nature, Zhao said that both the Constitution of the Communist Party of China and the Constitution of the People’s Republic of China clearly stipulate that China… Read full this story
- South China Sea: China slams US over 'illegal sanctions'
- China slams U.S. defense secretary's article on Chinese army
- Never recognized so-called Arunachal Pradesh, says China; 5 'abducted' youths by PLA still traceless
- India, China LAC standoff continues amid PLA's provocative action in eastern Ladakh
- Biden slams Trump over alleged comments mocking US war dead
- Ex-Defense Secretary, Ohio Gov Urge Anonymous Sources to Step Forward Publicly With Claims Trump Called Veterans 'Losers'
- Pentagon orders end to Stars and Stripes publication, lawmakers urge Defense Secretary to reconsider
- French Foreign Minister Slams Navalny's Alleged Poisoning, Urges Russia to Probe 'Attack'
- U.S. Defense Secretary protests provocative acts in East Sea
- China slams U.S. university's alleged expulsion of Chinese students
China slams U.S. Defense Secretary's allegations against PLA have 324 words, post on www.xinhuanet.com at August 27, 2020. This is cached page on Asean Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.