Video PlayerClose by Xinhua writer Guo Yage BEIJING, Aug. 1 (Xinhua) — On Aug. 1, 1927, the People’s Liberation Army (PLA) of China was born out of a mission to seek national independence and liberation of the Chinese people. More than nine decades have passed. And now the PLA, ever developing and modernizing, has not only been standing guard for the security and well-being of the Chinese people, but also contributing to regional and global peace and security. First, the PLA has been firmly following a path of peaceful development. This determination can be well reflected in China’s military expenditure. China is now the world’s second largest economy. Yet its defense spending has stayed at around 1.3 percent of its gross domestic product for many years, well below the world’s average of 2.6 percent. According to a draft budget report in late May, China will continue to lower its defense budget growth rate to 6.6 percent in 2020. Besides, a defense white paper issued July last year said the Chinese military has cut 300,000 personnel to keep the total active force at 2 million. Second, the Chinese military has been faithfully implementing a defense-oriented policy. Far from bellicosity, China always… Read full this story
- Chinese Military Holds Live-Fire Drills at its First Overseas Base
- China slams US naval ships sailing through SCS; denounces Pentagon report on Chinese military
- Chinese Military Going Hi-Tech As World Watches
- Chinese Military Ready to Develop Cooperation With Afghan Army
- Commentary: Chinese economy resilient enough to counter virus shock
- Hanoi Objects to Annual Chinese Military Drills in South China Sea
- Trump Will Not 'Make America Great Again' by Spending More on Defense, China Military Says
- Calls for Britain to follow our Five Eyes intelligence partners and BAN Chinese firm Huawei from working on the 5G upgrade amid espionage fears after Williamson voiced 'grave concerns'
- Chinese Army Equips All Ground Troops With Advanced WZ-10 Attack Helicopters
- Iran on the Brink of Unveiling New Homegrown Armored Military Vehicles
Commentary: Chinese military: on guard for peace have 327 words, post on www.xinhuanet.com at August 1, 2020. This is cached page on Asean Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.