Video PlayerClose NEW DELHI, Aug. 6 (Xinhua) — The death toll in India due to COVID-19 surpassed the 40,000-mark on Thursday, reaching 40,699, as the total tally reached 1,964,536, said the data released by the federal health ministry. During the past 24 hours, 56,282 new COVID-19 cases and 904 new deaths were reported across the country. According to the data, 1,328,336 people have been successfully treated and discharged from hospitals while there are 595,501 active cases in various hospitals across the country. Thursday was the seventh consecutive day when over 50,000 new cases were registered in the country. The sudden surge is mainly attributed to the central government’s focus on ramping up the testing of samples. As per the Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR)’s data, a total of 22,149,351 samples were tested till Aug. 5 out of which 664,949 samples were tested on Wednesday alone. Enditem
- Two lower caste children in India beaten to death for 'open defecation'
- Ravi Shastri Trolled For Obscene Comment After India's Historic Win In Adelaide
- Shujaat Bukhari: Killing of Kashmir journalist shakes India
- India vs Australia: MS Dhoni Becomes Fifth Indian To Score 10,000 ODI Runs
- India vs Australia: MS Dhoni Fever Grips Sydney Ahead Of India-Australia First ODI - Watch
- India vs Australia: MS Dhoni Is Like A Guiding Light For Team India, Says Rohit Sharma
- Shujhaat Bukhari: Pakistan militants blamed for journalist death
- India vs West Indies, Highlights 2nd T20I: India Beat Windies By 71 Runs To Clinch Three-Match Series 2-0
- 3rd T20I: Deepak Chahar takes six-fer as India beat Bangladesh to clinch series 2-1
- India worst affected by climate change among G20 says report
India's COVID-19 deaths surpass 40,000-mark as tally reaches over 1.9 mln have 267 words, post on www.xinhuanet.com at August 6, 2020. This is cached page on Asean Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.