Video PlayerClose NEW YORK, Aug. 11 (Xinhua) — Facing the threat of instant annihilation from atomic bombings, another world war is simply not an option for any reason or for any nation at any time, and the only option for mankind is the rational and peaceful resolution of its challenges, said a U.S. historian on Monday. The atomic bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki in August 1945 in Japan opened a new chapter in the world history, said Paul A. Tenkotte, a professor of history at Northern Kentucky University. “It is important to remember that the United Nations has managed to keep the world from a major global conflict for 75 years,” Tenkotte told Xinhua in an email. International negotiations are never easy, but certainly easier and less costly than any war, he said. Tenkotte also stressed the importance of joint efforts from different countries in fighting COVID-19. “It will require a concerted effort of every nation to defeat COVID-19, and to assure that 7.8 billion people worldwide receive vaccines when they become available,” he said. “That alone will require a massive international logistical effort,” he added. Enditem
- Vietnam supports Sudan, South Sudan in resolving Abyei issues peacefully
- UN envoy: Israeli annexation can destroy Mideast peace hopes
- Journalists eligible for Nobel peace prize
- 'An enemy to world peace': Chinese state media blasts US Secretary of State Pompeo after he said Beijing will 'pay a price' over coronavirus cover-up and was 'taking advantage' of crisis to push territory ambitions
- The quest for peace in an Age of Extremes
- Mankind will suffer worse pandemics than coronavirus if we do not protect the environment and halt deforestation, scientists warn
- Salman Khan Gets Trolled For Not Following Safety Measures While Donating Ration
- Russian envoy to Denmark criticizes Washington of threatening Arctic peace
- India ranks 141 of 162 countries in peace index, even lower than Sri Lanka
- How well do YOU know the Nineties? Say-what-you-see puzzle challenges you to identify 50 cultural references from the decade - and there's a 12-minute record to beat!
Mankind shall resolve challenges rationally, peacefully in atomic era: U.S. historian have 334 words, post on www.xinhuanet.com at August 11, 2020. This is cached page on Asean Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.