There are now 26,000 electric vehicle charging stations open to the public in the U.S., with more than 84,000 plugs. But the country, and the world, will need thousands more if drivers are going to adopt vehicles powered by batteries alone. And because they’re being asked to invest before that demand arrives, automakers and charging companies are struggling to raise the numbers. Currently electric vehicles make up only about 1.3% of total new vehicle sales in the U.S., according to the Edmunds.com auto site. Electrics are much bigger in other countries, accounting for 2.6% of global new vehicle sales last year, the International Energy Agency says. With more than 40 fully electric vehicles on the market in the U.S. or coming within the next three years, however, auto and charging company executives say the demand is on the way.”The automakers, more and more of them, are committing to manufacture electric vehicles,” said Mike Moran, spokesman for Electrify America, a network of charging stations being built with $2 billion in settlement money from Volkswagen’s diesel emissions cheating scandal. “Last year automakers announced a combined $225 billion in investments in electrification.”On Friday, General Motors and charging company EVGo announced plans to add… Read full this story
- Electric-car charging stations rated: what's best, what's cheapest, what to avoid?
- UK's first electric car charging station to be built near Bristol
- Really fast electric-car charging stations coming to a Walmart near you
- Electric car charging station installed at Troy parking garage
- Target, Walmart rolling out more electric vehicle charging stations
- New Ontario electric vehicle charging station installation rules ease burden on condo owners
- Historic Pike Place Market in Seattle Installs SemaConnect Electric Vehicle Charging Stations
- Gasoline range anxiety 100 years ago made electric-car charging seem easy
- Electric car "filling" stations plan
- Troy adds first electric vehicle charging station
Plug it in: Electric car charging station numbers are rising have 307 words, post on auto.economictimes.indiatimes.com at August 1, 2020. This is cached page on Asean Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.