Video PlayerClose LONDON, Aug. 11 (Xinhua) — Washington’s so-called “Clean Network” program will “bolster a worrying movement” toward the split of the global internet, said a recent BBC article. “The U.S. government has for a long time criticized other countries for controlling access to the internet … and now we see the Americans doing the same thing,” the article quoted Alan Woodward, a computer security expert at the University of Surrey in Britain, as saying. “It’s shocking,” said Woodward, adding, “this is the Balkanization of the internet happening in front of our eyes.” Last week, U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo announced the launch of five new lines of effort under the program to “protect America’s critical telecommunications and technology infrastructure.” According to the five lines, Washington will seek to remove “untrusted” Chinese apps such as TikTok and WeChat from U.S. mobile app stores, limit the ability of Chinese cloud service providers like Alibaba, Baidu, and Tencent to access cloud-based systems in the country, and ensure undersea cables “are not subverted for intelligence gathering” by China. “It’s hard not to view this through the prism of the U.S. elections in November,” said the article titled “Is the U.S. about to… Read full this story
- Navigating a split on social media can be hideous – here’s how to navigate the ‘break-up minefield’
- Takeaways from the global internet report
- Call me! A German satellite and Internet company wants answers from the NSA
- Deutsche Telekom hack part of global internet attack
- Clean energy can upset global water supplies
- South Africa: Global South media dialogue
- Germany Calls For End of Restrictions on Foreign Media in China
- Disappointed Washington calls on Mubarak to lay out roadmap
- Trump calls on nations to reject globalism, embrace nationalism
- Cybersecurity and Human Rights: How can we protect the internet?
Washington's so-called "Clean Network" program to split global internet: media have 310 words, post on www.xinhuanet.com at August 11, 2020. This is cached page on Asean Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.