Video PlayerClose BUENOS AIRES, Oct. 30 (Xinhua) — Tributes flowed for Diego Maradona on Friday as the Argentinian football legend celebrated his 60th birthday. The former Napoli, Barcelona and Boca Juniors forward was also honored with the unveiling of a giant mural showing him kissing the 1986 FIFA World Cup trophy in the center of Buenos Aires. Maradona, who is now the head coach of Argentinian first division club Gimnasia y Esgrima, was forced to spend most of the day at home after one of his bodyguards showed symptoms of COVID-19. He made a brief appearance at Gimnasia’s Juan Carmelo Zerillo stadium, where Argentinian Football Association president Claudio Tapia presented him with a commemorative plaque before his team’s opening league match of the season against Patronato. However, a frail-looking Maradona left the stadium before kick-off to watch Gimnasia’s 3-0 victory from his home. Among the array of well-wishers was Brazil’s three-time World Cup winner Pele, with whom Maradona shared the award for FIFA’s best player of the 20th century. “My great friend, Maradona, I will always applaud you,” Pele, who turned 80 last week, said in a social media post. “I will always root for you. May your journey be… Read full this story
- Hot 100 Turns 60: How the 'Macarena' Predicted Trends That Were Years Away
- Hot 100 Turns 60: The Black Eyed Peas, LMFAO and an Apology for Party Rocking
- ‘Little Lionel Messi' Tipped to Become Football Icon Signs for Liverpool Academy, Report Says
- Fancy the luck of the draw? Premium bonds turn 60
- Sean Penn on turning 60 as former Hollywood hellraiser celebrates with 28-year-old wife
- Barcelona Icon Lionel Messi 'More Than a Dream' for Milan’s Inter, Reveals Italian Club’s Ex-Boss
- Former Socceroos captain Mile Jedinak announces retirement from football
- Football teams qualifying for Europe with negative goal differences
- Football transfer rumours: Chelsea to continue spree with Malang Sarr?
- Julie Welch, Fleet Street's first female football writer: 'It felt like a dare'
Maradona turns 60 as football icons applaud have 328 words, post on www.xinhuanet.com at October 31, 2020. This is cached page on Asean Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.