The Indian rupee continued its downward journey on Thursday, sliding another 18 paise to 74.05 against the US dollar in opening trade, tracking weak opening in domestic equities amid global risk aversion.
At the interbank forex market, the domestic unit opened weak at 74.02 against the greenback, then lost further ground and fell to 74.05 against the American currency, showing a fall of 18 paise over its previous close.
On Wednesday, the rupee depreciated by 16 paise to settle at more than one-month low of 73.87 against the US currency.
“The risk sentiment has been dealt a serious blow with the worsening coronavirus situation in Europe on account of a second wave. Most countries have announced partial lockdowns, curfews or declared emergencies. This threatens to nip the nascent recovery in the bud,” said Abhishek Goenka, Founder and CEO, IFA Global.
Mr. Goenka further added that “the rupee is likely to get spooked on account of global risk aversion. We expect the rupee to trade a 73.90-74.30 range intraday. We may see nationalised banks offering dollars to smoothen volatility”.
Meanwhile, the dollar index, which gauges the greenback’s strength against a basket of six currencies, fell 0.03% to 93.37.
On the equity market front, BSE index Sensex was trading 168.34 points lower at 39,754.12, and the broader NSE Nifty fell 52 points to 11,677.60.
Foreign institutional investors were net sellers in the capital market as they offloaded shares worth ₹ 1,130.98 crore on a net basis on Wednesday, according to exchange data.
Brent crude futures, the global oil benchmark, inched 0.18% higher to $ 39.19 per barrel.
- Retro FPS Ion Maiden slips into 2019, adds multiplayer
- New tycoon game Rise Of Industry hits early access
- Pokemon Quest Best Pokemon: stats, evolution levels and strategies for the best team
- Zelda: Breath of the Wild’s early game is easy to grind for great loot
- PUBG tips - 74 tricks for both beginners and those still mastering PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds
- Delightful space exploration adventure Astroneer leaves early access next February
- Rust is leaving Early Access next month after four years in development
- Security Researcher Slips Fake Game Onto Steam
- Emerging Markets: The Brilliant Complexity Of Offworld Trading Company
- SpyParty sneaks onto Steam Early Access next week after nine years of work
- Reimagined: The Spatials Galactology Hits Early Access
- Fab rogue-like deck-builder Slay the Spire leaves Steam early access this week
- Fab rogue-like deck-builder Slay the Spire leaves early access this week
- Wasteland 2 Early Access Review
- The Jack class is literally a jack-of-all-trades in Torment: Tides of Numenera
- Coverage Club: The Spy Who Shrunk Me Slips Up
- Netflix has revolutionised television. But is its crown starting to slip?
- Bready Steady Go: I Am Bread Pops Out Of Early Access
- Arabian Nights-themed first-person rogue-lite City of Brass leaves early access in May
- Fallout 76 patch arrives early on PC, fixes issues with perks, weapons, crafting, more
Rupee slips below 74/USD level in early trade have 441 words, post on www.thehindu.com at October 29, 2020. This is cached page on Asean News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.