With the U.S. prepared to reduce its troop presence in Afghanistan to about 2,500 by January 20 — the inauguration day for the new President — Afghanistan is bracing for an uncertain future.The Taliban, who were ousted from power in 2001 after the U.S. invasion and have since been fighting both foreign troops and the Afghan government in Kabul, now control more than half of the country and contest the whole of it.Also read: The Doha-Kabul journey as a road to nowhereIn February this year, the U.S. reached an agreement with the Taliban after prolonged negotiations in Doha, Qatar’s capital, where the insurgents have a political office. According to the agreement, the U.S. would withdraw all of its troops from Afghanistan in 14 months in return for assurances from the Taliban that they would not allow Afghan soil to be used by transnational jihadist organisations such as al-Qaeda and the Islamic State.The Taliban also committed that it would start direct talks with the Afghan government. The talks began in September after the Afghan government released some 5,000 Taliban prisoners, which the U.S. had promised as part of its deal.On Tuesday, Afghanistan’s Tolo News TV channel reported that the negotiating sides… Read full this story
- US Reportedly Deploys More Troops to Afghanistan, But for What Purpose?
- US Unlikely to Pull Out All Troops from Afghanistan
- Suicide bomber attacks foreign troops in Afghanistan – local official
- When is the Sussex Senior Cup second round draw and what is your team's number?
- When is the Carabao Cup draw and what number are Nottingham Forest?
- Carabao Cup fourth round; when's the draw and what ball number are Forest?
- When is the Carabao Cup draw and what number are Forest?
- Reds' one flaw exposed as City draw produces what no-one expected
- Islamic State fighters in Afghanistan 'in touch with UK cells'
- US Airstrike Hits Afghan Security Forces, Not Taliban, Kills Friendly Troops
Analysis | With U.S. drawing down troops, what’s next for Afghanistan? have 328 words, post on www.thehindu.com at November 24, 2020. This is cached page on Asean Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.