BOGOTA, Nov. 21 (Xinhua) — Colombian President Ivan Duque on Saturday urged the public to utilize the year’s third and final VAT-free Day to re-energize the country’s pandemic-hit economy.
For 24 hours, value-added tax (VAT), which in Colombia is set at 19 percent, will be suspended on all retail sales on Saturday.
“It is a very important day to reactivate our economy and to do it responsibly,” said Duque, calling on people to shop for the holidays and avoid crowds, wear face masks and maintain social distancing.
The Ministry of Commerce, Industry and Tourism reported initial results of a more than 30 percent uptick in sales, which are expected to top 5 trillion pesos (1.370 billion U.S. dollars).
The previous VAT-free Days were in June and July respectively.
The National Administrative Department of Statistics reported on Tuesday that the country’s gross domestic product (GDP) in the third quarter of 2020 dropped 9 percent year-on-year following the COVID-19 pandemic. Enditem
- 3 Prong Fear Attack - Keeping it in Perspective - Swine Flu, Terrorism & Economic Recovery
- Economic Recovery on a Personal Level - Time For Chapter 13?
- Tax Law Changes Create Planning Opportunities
- Defending Yourself in an IRS Trust Fund Recovery Penalty Assessment Controversy
- How the Economic Stimulus Act Affects Small Businesses
- Be Aware of Changes in the Tax Law For 2009
- 2010 - Largest Estate Tax Increase in U.S. History?
- The Appearance of Things Affect the Speed of the Economic Turnaround
- President Obama - Taking Us Back to Beatlemania
- Be Aware of the New Tax Laws For 2009
- Obama's Economic Stimulus - 4.5% Refinancing For Everyone
- President Donald Trump Reaches 1,000 Days in Office
- Uncle Sam Gives First Time Home Buyer(S) A $7,500 Tax Credit!
- Economic Development Propaganda and Sugar Coating - A Case Study
- Democrats Claim to Soak the Rich, But They'll Raise Your Taxes Next
- Filing Federal Taxes III - The Form 1040
- Online Backup Systems - Avoid Nightmares at Tax Time
- 7 Simple Steps to Financial Recovery
- Economic Survival - How to Stay Positive During Economic Upheaval
- The Speed of Economic Growth May Only Require a Move From Depression to Joy
Colombian president touts tax-free day for economic recovery have 331 words, post on www.xinhuanet.com at November 22, 2020. This is cached page on Asean News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.