MEXICO CITY, Nov. 21 (Xinhua) — Health, as “a fundamental human right,” should not be subject to the pursuit of profit, Mexican President Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador said Saturday at the Group of 20 (G20) summit.
“Health is a fundamental human right that the state must guarantee, putting aside the profit motive,” which has been made clear by the raging COVID-19 pandemic, said Lopez Obrador.
“Medical care, vaccines and medicines must be free and universally applicable, as established by Mexico’s resolution approved at the United Nations,” the president added.
In his four-minute message to the virtual summit, Lopez Obrador pointed out that another lesson learned from the pandemic is that healthy eating habits should be promoted as a way to prevent disease and that those suffering from hypertension, diabetes and obesity are most vulnerable to COVID-19.
Mexico has one of the world’s worst COVID-19 outbreaks, with more than 1 million infections and over 100,000 deaths, according to local health authorities.
Hosted by Saudi Arabia, which holds the rotating presidency of the G20, the two-day summit is focused on fighting the pandemic and recovering economic growth.
Lopez Obrador attended the summit via video link from the National Palace in the capital of Mexico City, accompanied by Foreign Affairs Minister Marcelo Ebrard, and ministers of economy, health and finance. Enditem
- US Sanctions Four Companies, Including The World’s Largest Drone Manufacturer, For Enabling Chinese Human Rights Violations
- Saudi rights activist Loujain al-Hathloul sentenced to almost six years in jail
- US has to overcome Covid-19 denial and pull together, Fauci says
- Trump Administration Comes After Abortion Rights and Assisted Suicides To 'Protect Conscience'
- Biden's surgeon general Vivek Murthy says most Americans won't get the coronavirus vaccine until SUMMER 2021 - months longer that previously suggested
- Hillary and Trump at war on Syrian refugees: He calls Christians 'superior' - and she says choosing refugees by religion is a 'new low'
- 'What's the agenda, Joe?' Socialist AOC slams 'hazy' Biden's new cabinet and says it lacks 'cohesive vision' as he unveils Susan Rice as domestic policy chief
- VIDEO: Two Mexican Journalists Shot in Ambush, One Dead
- Fauci says Operation Warp Speed 'will go down historically' as 'highly successful'
- Interview: "Solidarity and humanity" needed to offer quality education for crisis-affected children worldwide, says UN official
- Former CDC director says COVID-19 'immunity passports' for vaccinated Americans could be the solution to getting U.S. 'back to a new normal'
- How curing the planet's ills protects human health
- Key lines from the unveiling of Biden's health team
- Vaccinated against COVID-19? Still wear a mask, social distance, Azar says
- Covid-19 restrictions have been used to destroy civil liberties around the world, rights groups warn
- Meghan Markle's 'Princess' Status 'is a Problem,' Gloria Steinem Says
- COVID Vaccine Expected in January, Official Says, Countering Trump
- AMANDA PLATELL: Why ARE we letting this terrorist back on UK streets? Release of Osama bin Laden's right hand man because he's too fat beggars belief
- AstraZeneca boss says firm has worked out 'winning formula' to boost Oxford vaccine's efficacy with jab set to roll out next week - as ministers target 15million people to vaccinate to end cycle of lockdowns by February
- Fauci says he will practice what he preaches this holiday season
Health "a fundamental human right," says Mexican president at G20 summit have 519 words, post on www.xinhuanet.com at November 22, 2020. This is cached page on Asean News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.