Video PlayerClose COLOMBO, Nov. 29 (Xinhua) — One prison inmate was killed and three others were injured when police opened fire to prevent a group of prisoners from escaping a maximum security prison in Mahara, in the outskirts of capital Colombo on Sunday, police said. Commissioner General of Prisons, Thushara Upuldeniya, was quoted by local media as saying that a tense situation was reported on Sunday afternoon when a group of inmates had attempted to escape from the prison, as another group of inmates had been infected with the COVID-19 virus. Police Spokesperson DIG Ajith Rohana said security had been increased in and outside the prison premises following the incident and the police special task force had been deployed. Rohana said prison officers were compelled to use force to bring the situation under control and during the process one inmate was killed and three others injured. The injured were transferred to hospital. According to official figures, over 1,000 prisoners from five prisons across the country have tested positive for the COVID-19 in recent weeks. Enditem
- 42 inmates killed in Brazil jails, prison officials say
- Sri Lanka explosions: What we know so far
- Sri Lanka bombings: What we know about the victims so far
- Sri Lanka governing party candidate stresses security
- Sri Lanka on edge as shooting erupts during police raid linked to Easter bombings
- Sri Lanka churches fall silent amid fears of further bombings
- Sri Lanka is measles-free, World Health Organization says
- Sri Lanka bans face veil as security officials warn of 'imminent attacks'
- Quiet Casualty of Sri Lanka’s Political Crisis: A Sugar Tax
- Fitch downgrades Sri Lanka's rating
Inmate killed, 3 injured as officers prevent prison break in Sri Lanka have 269 words, post on www.xinhuanet.com at November 30, 2020. This is cached page on Asean Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.