GENEVA – COVAX, the international vaccine campaign co-led by the World Health Organization (WHO) and its partners, had delivered more than 20 million doses of COVID-19 vaccines to 20 countries, the WHO chief said on Friday.
Earlier this week, the first COVID-19 vaccination campaigns in Africa using doses provided by COVAX began in Ghana and Cote d’Ivoire, which were later followed by shipment to another 18 countries, mostly in Africa.
In the next week, COVAX will deliver 14.4 million doses to a further 31 countries,WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus told a press briefing.
However, the volume of doses being distributed through COVAX is still relatively small, only covering between two and three percent of the population of the countries receiving the vaccines through COVAX, he said.
Tedros said his organization is working on efforts to connect companies who are producing vaccines with others who have excess capacity to fill and finish, to help speed up production and increase volumes.
He also reiterated the call for vaccine technology transfer from companies owning patents on vaccines to those who can produce them.
“A good example of this approach is AstraZeneca, which has transferred the technology for its vaccine to SKBio in the Republic of Korea and the Serum Institute of India, which is producing AstraZeneca vaccines for COVAX,” he said.
COVAX aims at ensuring that no participating economy will be left behind in accessing COVID-19 vaccines. Its core target is to deliver two billion vaccine doses by the end of 2021.
- Should the Government Make Vaccines?
- The Vaccine That Almost Wasn't
- UN Health Agency: Dengue Vaccine Shouldn’t be Used Widely
- Journal retracts paper claiming neurological damage from HPV vaccine
- A new dengue vaccine should only be used in people who were previously infected, WHO says
- Comments for : The elusive Google Nexus 6 appears in a dozen new countries, but you still won't be able to get it
- Comments for : Survey: AT&T remains Apple iPhone country while Android rules at Verizon
- Toward a Universal Flu Vaccine
- HPV vaccine is effective, safe 10 years after it's given
- Merck's Mission: An AIDS Vaccine
- Graphene wristband can monitor blood glucose, deliver drug treatment
- Delivering a Virus Imposter Quicker
- Inside the Company Delivering the Next Generation of Cancer Therapies
- Nielsen: Video Games In Nearly 46 Mln Homes
- Comments for : Motorola sells 2.7 mln smartphones in the second quarter
- An American company is now using drones to deliver medical supplies in Rwanda
- The Download, Jan 19, 2017: IoT Botnet Builder Unmasked, 2016’s Heat Record, and Soft Robot Help
- Samsung to increase its market share over 20% by the end of the year?
- Jay Farrar on ‘alternative country facts’ and why he’s super serious about vinyl
- Samsung Galaxy K Zoom is official: 20.7MP, OIS, and 10x optical zoom in a stylish body
COVAX delivers over 20 mln doses of COVID-19 vaccines to 20 countries: WHO have 438 words, post on www.chinadaily.com.cn at March 6, 2021. This is cached page on Asean News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.