China’s first proton therapy center for children was established at the Children’s Hospital of Fudan University in Shanghai on Wednesday, the result of a strategic collaboration between the medical institution, Fosun Healthcare, and Hong Kong-based Mevion Medical Technology Group Ltd.
Besides setting up a proton therapy center at the hospital’s new Hongqiao branch, the strategic collaboration also involves Sino-US research and development cooperation, talent cultivation, and the establishment of such a center in the Yangtze River Delta region.
Official statistics show that the average annual growth rate of tumor incidence among children aged 0 to 14 in China has reached 2.5 over the past decade, and malignant tumors have become a main culprit of children’s death in the country, second only to accidents.
Proton therapy, which experts said can realize precise “directed blasting” of tumor cells, is an innovative tumor treatment method that is less harmful, highly accurate, and comes with a good prognosis. Patients’ 5-year survival rates can be as high as 84 percent, medical experts said.
“We very much look forward to this multi-party strategic collaboration to further elevate the treatment capacity and level for child tumor cases and ultimately promote the high-quality development of children’s health,” said Huang Guoying, president of the Children’s Hospital of Fudan University.
Chen Yuqin, co-president of Fosun Pharma and chairman of Fosun Healthcare, said that women and children’s health has long been an area in which Fosun invests heavily in.
“The collaboration this time is aimed at providing better solutions for child patients and bringing new hopes for families with children suffering from tumors,” he said.
- China Daily hosts Vision China event to boost Sino-African ties
- Photos: China’s City Streets Empty as Workers Avoid Coronavirus
- No risk of large-scale virus infections in Xinjiang education, training centers as people have graduated: Authorities
- Opinion: China's brutal treatment of Uighurs in Xinjiang
- China’s virus containment wins praise
- Chinese doctors using plasma therapy on coronavirus, WHO says 'very valid' approach
- Coronavirus death toll tops 1,800 as 780 million remain on lockdown in China
- Novel coronavirus deaths top 2,200 as number of new cases in China rises again
- Deaths in China from coronavirus top 1,300 with big jump in cases as country expands diagnosis
- China is disinfecting and destroying cash to contain the coronavirus
- Novel coronavirus appears to be stabilizing in China amid fears of new outbreak in Japan
- Fears over containing novel coronavirus grow as cases outside China spike
- The coronavirus crisis is raising questions over China's relationship with the World Health Organization
- China changed how it counts coronavirus cases again. Here's why
- Exclusive: China's systematic tracking, arrests of Uighurs exposed in new Xinjiang leak
- Uighur whistleblower: China is 'arresting people without any reason'
- RPT-FOCUS-Coronavirus outbreak begins to disrupt booming China drug trials
- Ending the Peace Corps program in China is not smart
- Panama Papers reveal offshore secrets of China’s red nobility
- Sydney news: NSW police investigate Lethbridge Park stabbing, students return from China after coronavirus scare
First proton therapy center for children in China established have 474 words, post on www.chinadaily.com.cn at March 3, 2021. This is cached page on Asean News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.