LIVERPOOL, England (Reuters) – Liverpool slumped to a sixth consecutive home Premier League defeat as they lost 1-0 to relegation-threatened Fulham after a first-half goal by Mario Lemina at Anfield on Sunday.
The defeat extends their record run of home losses in a row and marks the first time since the 1953-54 season that they have lost that many games at Anfield in a league campaign.
Liverpool stay seventh on 43 points, four points off fourth-placed Chelsea having played a game more. Fulham remain in the bottom three on 26 points after 28 games but now only trail 17th-placed Brighton & Hove Albion on goal difference.
Juergen Klopp made seven changes to the Liverpool side that lost 1-0 at home to Chelsea on Thursday but it made little difference as Lemina outmuscled Mohamed Salah on the edge of the box to take possession before lashing home in the 45th minute.
Liverpool’s fortunes were summed up when unmarked substitute Sadio Mane had a great opportunity to equalise in the 80th but mistimed his downward header and the opening came to nothing.
The hosts had the lion’s share of the ball but yet again they failed to convert it into scoring opportunities as Fulham’s defence worked hard to prevent them from penetrating.
As Liverpool poured forward late on, Joachim Andersen threw himself to block a late Andy Robertson cross and, though the Reds earned a number of set pieces, Scott Parker’s side held on to grab three valuable points in the battle against relegation.
“The second half, you don’t plan it to go like that, but we showed another side to us – character, resilience and doggedness. I’m very proud of the team today,” Parker told Sky Sports.
(Reporting by Philip O’Connor; Editing by Ken Ferris)
- Bianca Andreescu beats Serena Williams to win her first US Open and grand slam title
- Northrop Grumman Wins The Contract To Produce America's Next Stealth Bomber
- Harley-Davidson Is In Trouble
- Trials of Osiris Is The New Best Thing In
- All the Olympics News Everyone Will Talk About at the Water Cooler Today
- Same Place, Different World
- Halep saves match point to beat her fan Andreescu at WTA Finals
- Persona 5: The Kotaku Review
- My Crazy, Russian-Modded, Alternate Reality NBA
- Broken Booms: Why Is It So Hard To Develop & Procure A New USAF Tanker?
- Can you stay awake for the whole Le Mans 24-hour race?
- Rexchip to recoup $22.4M from Elpida
- The Unlikely Struggle Of The Family Whose Neighbor Is Area 51
- Watch The Final Round Of The 2014
- Restoring a Dollar-Store Supercar
- Four hours in Apple Store hell: What iPhone Upgrade customers need to know
- The Red Bull Formula One Team Kicked My Ass
- Don't Break Our Hearts Again At Le Mans, Toyota
- Retired NFL player finds hope for his brain in oxygen chamber
- Anxious Man: Democratic Women 'Scaring Off Good Male Candidates'
Liverpool suffer sixth straight Anfield loss as Fulham win 1-0 have 462 words, post on www.thestar.com.my at March 8, 2021. This is cached page on Asean News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.