MANILA, Philippines — The Maharlika Pilipinas Basketball League will finally get to crown a champion later this month, a year after its season got stalled due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
The MPBL is set to resume its division finals with the San Juan Knights and Makati Super Crunch battling for the North crown while the Davao Occidental Tigers and the Basilan Steel dispute the South title on March 10 inside a bubble at a crowd less Subic Bay Gymnasium in Subic.
Both series at knotted at 1-1 before the Luzon-wide lockdown was imposed.
"We're just happy to be given the chance to complete the (Lakan) season and fulfill our commitment to the fans," said MPBL Commissioner Kenneth Duremdes. "We're grateful to our COO (Senator Pacquiao) that despite the situation he persevered for our resumption.
"Of course, we'd like to thank the IATF, central and regional, the DOH (Department of Health), SBMA (Subic Bay Metropolitan Authority) through Administrator Atty. Wilma Eisma, MPBL Governor Cong. Dong Gonzales, and, of course, Bong Cuevas for hosting us."
With its amateur status, the league took a while before it got the green light from the Inter-Agency Task Force .
The Tigers, the Knights and MPBL personnel headed by Emmer Oreta are already at the quarantine hotel in Subic while the Super Crunch and the Steel as well as the rest of the MPBL staff are expected to arrive on March 8.
The best-of-five National Finals, featuring the two division champions, will tip off on March 12. Games will be shown on Channel A2Z.
The Inquirer Foundation supports our healthcare frontliners and is still accepting cash donations to be deposited at Banco de Oro (BDO) current account #007960018860 or donate through PayMaya using this link .
- Aaron Jones rushes for two TDs as Packers clinch division with 23-10 win over Vikings
- New Final Fantasy 7 Remake Screenshots Spotlight Aerith's Powerful Magic
- Charge sheet filed in connection with death of 23-yr-old Unnao rape victim who was set ablaze
- Federer rues missed chances and 'pretty bad' mistakes after ATP Finals exit
- Is Finally at the Beginning of the End
- Microsoft Ends Support for Windows 10 Mobile
- Final Top 25 national high school football composite rankings: St. John Bosco a unanimous No. 1 pick
- Vizag zone finally becomes a reality
- India vs Australia: India Beat Australia For 1st Test Win Down Under In 10 Years
- India Vs Australia Highlights, Under-19 World Cup Final: India Outclass Australia To Claim Record 4th Title
- On CMOs push, Kamal Nath’s Chhindwara set to be elevated to a division
- 10 of the best winter walks in the UK
- How to Set Up and Use the Ecobee4 Smart Thermostat
- Quang Tri: 12 sets of war martyrs’ remains collected
- Kangana Ranaut Plans To Go Silent For 10 Days Before Her 32nd Birthday, Here's The Reason!
- Over 19 lakh excluded from Assam’s final NRC
- Channel 10 revamped The Living Room is tipped to return in March - after Amanda Keller revealed the show will be renamed
- New education policy seeks to junk 10+2 format, ‘high-stakes’ exams
- The 10 Strangest Musician Brand Collaborations of 2019
- Government cuts expenditure limit for March quarter on revenue concerns
MPBL set to resume division finals on March 10 have 533 words, post on sports.inquirer.net at March 6, 2021. This is cached page on Asean News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.