OTTAWA (REUTERS) – AstraZeneca’s Covid-19 vaccine is safe and Canadians should have confidence in it, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said on Wednesday (April 28), reacting to news that a woman had died of a rare blood clot after being inoculated.
Ms Francine Boyer, 54, is the first Canadian fatality linked to the AstraZeneca vaccine.
She received a shot on April 9 and died last Friday in hospital where she was being treated for fatigue and headaches, her husband said in a statement.
“I have tremendous confidence in all vaccines, including AstraZeneca,” said Mr Trudeau, who got his first AstraZeneca shot last Friday.
“The risks of blood clots from getting Covid are much greater than the very, very rare, but real risk of side effects from AstraZeneca. It is a very simple calculation we should make,” Mr Trudeau told a Halifax radio station.
More than a dozen European countries temporarily suspended use of the vaccine after reports of blood clots combined with low platelets in a very small number of people.
Many countries have resumed using the shot.
Faced with a rampant third wave of the virus, several Canadian provinces recently began offering the AstraZeneca vaccine to people aged 40 and over.
- AstraZeneca Covid-19 vaccine has ‘winning formula’: chief executive Pascal Soriot
- India ka number kab ayegaa: Rahul Gandhi questions PM Modi on COVID-19 vaccine
- Thai Firm Joins with AstraZeneca to Make COVID-19 Vaccine for Southeast Asia
- Zydus Cadila seeks govt nod to start Phase-III clinical trials of COVID-19 vaccine
- UK strain unlikely to affect efficacy of COVID-19 vaccines
- While First COVID-19 Vaccines Arrive, Much of the World Will Have to Wait
- Oxford Covid-19 vaccine may become first to get DCGI's nod for emergency use
- Where Are We in COVID-19 Vaccine Race?
- WHO: Equitable, Global Distribution of 2 Billion COVID-19 Vaccine Doses to Begin in 2021
- Halal Status of COVID-19 Vaccine Worries Muslims
- CDC Issues New Guidelines for COVID-19 Vaccinations
- Mexico First Latin American Country With COVID-19 Vaccination Program
- Trump hails FDA's emergency approval of Pfizer's COVID-19 vaccine as a 'medical miracle' and says shots have shipped and will start being administered within 24 HOURS
- Global partnership COVAX secures two billion COVID-19 vaccine doses
- 29k cold chain points, 41k deep freezers: India gets ready for COVID-19 vaccine storage
- The EU is plagued with divisions. Covid-19 vaccines are a golden chance to redeem the European project
- Covid-19 vaccine: Light faint at the end of the tunnel
- US gives approval for emergency use of Moderna COVID-19 vaccine
- Bahrain approves Chinese COVID-19 vaccine for use
- Telangana gears up to inoculate 80 lakh people in first phase once COVID-19 vaccine ready
Canada PM says AstraZeneca Covid-19 vaccine is safe, despite blood clot death have 412 words, post on www.straitstimes.com at April 28, 2021. This is cached page on Asean News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.