NEW DELHI: An expert panel of India’s drugs regulator has recommended emergency use approval for Russia’s Sputnik V coronavirus vaccine, two sources said on Monday (Apr 12), which could make it the nation’s third to be approved as infections surge again.
India overtook Brazil to become the nation with the second highest number of infections worldwide after the United States, as it battles a massive second wave, having given about 105 million doses among a population of 1.4 billion.
The panel of the Central Drugs Standard Control Organisation (CDSCO) recommended the authorisation, said two people familiar with the matter, who sought anonymity as they were not authorised to speak to media.
Most panel recommendations are generally accepted by the regulator’s chief.
Neither Dr Reddy’s Laboratories, which markets the vaccine in India, nor the drugs regulator, responded immediately to Reuters’ requests for comment.
India is now using two vaccines, one developed by AstraZeneca and Oxford University, and the other by domestic firm Bharat Biotech.
Shares of Dr Reddy’s ended up 5 per cent after the Economic Times newspaper reported the news.
The firm has helped run a small domestic trial to test the vaccine’s safety and ability to generate an immune response.
Sputnik V, developed by Moscow’s Gamaleya Institute, has proved 91.6 per cent effective against COVID-19 and has been approved for use in more than 50 countries.
The Russian Direct Investment Fund has signed deals to produce more than 750 million doses of Sputnik V in India with six domestic firms.
- Vaccines blocked as deadly cholera raged in Yemen
- Senate intelligence leaders promise Russia probe will be transparent
- Robert Mueller emerging as gatekeeper for all Russia probes, and Congress is wary
- Edited Transcript of AIMT earnings conference call or presentation 8-Aug-19 8:30pm GMT
- First mammograms, now rules change on annual cervical cancer tests; panel says Pap every 2 years OK
- Letters to the Editor, Thursday, Oct. 19, 2017
- Edited Transcript of DELL earnings conference call or presentation 29-Aug-19 9:00pm GMT
- Edited Transcript of NM earnings conference call or presentation 5-Sep-19 12:30pm GMT
- Tom Seaver gives Mets an identity and their first World Series title
- Lawmakers avert government shutdown by narrowly approving Paterson's spending plan
- Edited Transcript of PFG earnings conference call or presentation 26-Jul-19 2:00pm GMT
- Edited Transcript of LNDC earnings conference call or presentation 2-Oct-19 3:00pm GMT
- United Federation of Teachers sues in effort to block closure of 19 city schools
- Chocolate maker Cadbury rejects Kraft, gives sweet trading report
- White House attempting gambit to slow House impeachment push
- 2017 Milwaukee Brewers player grades
- LIVE: Obama delivers State of the Union Address
- State of the Union draft speech leaked by Democratic insider: report
- I want to buy this YA trilogy about gene-hacking for every teen I know
- A look at the days before the Ferguson decision
Indian panel gives emergency approval for Russia's Sputnik V COVID-19 vaccine: Sources have 491 words, post on www.channelnewsasia.com at April 12, 2021. This is cached page on Asean News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.