SINGAPORE – The heartbreak of a cancelled Tokyo Olympics would be too much to bear for Jonathan Chan.
In September 2019, he became the first Singaporean diver to earn a berth at the Olympics. What was supposed to be a 10-month wait to compete at the pinnacle of sport has turned into 19, after the Games were postponed by a year owing to the Covid-19 pandemic.
Get unlimited access to all stories at $0.99/month
- Latest headlines and exclusive stories
- In-depth analyses and award-winning multimedia content
- Get access to all with our no-contract promotional package at only $0.99/month for the first 3 months*
*Terms and conditions apply.
- Analysis: Uncertainty swirls within F1's driver market
- Two weightlifters lose London Olympics medals for doping
- IOC to review proposed cuts for simplification of Tokyo Olympics
- Athletes taking vaccine not just ‘individual’ decision: Bach
- Tokyo Olympics: Q&A on vaccines, fans, qualifying, and costs
- Bach: Athletes taking vaccine not just ‘individual’ decision
- Athletes taking vaccine not just ‘individual’ decision, says Thomas Bach
- Cathy Freeman's 400m Olympic gold 20 years on: The story behind the Sydney Swift Suit
- Bach: Tokyo Olympic 'participants' encouraged to get vaccine
- Lolo Jones back in bobsled, seeking elusive Olympic medal and return to Beijing
- Rugby sets border precedent; athletics now hopes to bring top competition down under
- Fans at Tokyo Olympics may be asked to refrain from loud cheering
- Live: Rio Olympics 2016 — India lose to Great Britain in women's hockey
- Christian Malcolm named as UK Athletics' first black head coach for Olympics
- Fresh doping allegations will help sport’s image: US Athletes
- ISIS Beatles CAN face trial in America: Terror suspect's mother loses High Court bid to stop pair's prosecution in US - meaning they face life in 'hell on earth' supermax prison if convicted
- After Rio, Olympics headed for Asian venues seen as safe
- Watch US champ Katie Ledecky swim Olympic pool with glass of MILK on her head in bizarre challenge
- Vietnam's Toan gets Olympic bronze as Azerbaijani lifter sanctioned for doping
- Up to 2,000 British ski instructors are facing the end of their careers after Brexit as government revokes agreement allowing them to work in the EU after December 31
Olympics: As uncertainty swirls, athletes face decision on whether to keep going have 350 words, post on www.straitstimes.com at April 18, 2021. This is cached page on Asean News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.