China looms large as the elephant in the room as Japan forges ahead with the pandemic-hit Tokyo Games at all costs.
Organisers seem prepared to dismiss warnings that the Games may go down in history as a super-spreader event, while Prime Minister Yoshihide Suga is in effect staking his political future with a General Election due by October.
Get unlimited access to all stories at $0.99/month
- Latest headlines and exclusive stories
- In-depth analyses and award-winning multimedia content
- Get access to all with our no-contract promotional package at only $0.99/month for the first 3 months*
*Terms and conditions apply.
- 2020 Olympics Canceled if Coronavirus Pandemic Extends Into Next Year, Tokyo Games Chief Says
- India golfers get another shot at qualifying for Tokyo Games
- Tokyo Games fate hangs in the balance
- Japan Medical Assn: Tokyo Olympics difficult without vaccine
- Tokyo Olympics will be canceled if not held in 2021, top official says
- Sports world takes an economic hit from postponement of the Olympics
- Tokyo Olympics difficult without vaccine: Japan Medical Association
- How Tokyo's 2020 hopes turned to ashes – but can rise again in 2021
- Olympic Champion Swimmer Diagnosed With Coronavirus Calls It 'Worse Virus I Have Ever Endured'
- Impossible to hold Tokyo Olympics until COVID-19 is contained: Shinzo Abe
- Hideki Matsuyama, Japan’s top golfer, finds ties to Tokyo Olympics beyond the obvious
- Twists and turns in the life of a would-be Olympic gymnast; “Practice makes perfect”
- Tokyo Olympics will be ‘all body, no soul’, says Praveen Kumar
- The Latest: Serena, Venus, Sharapova in tennis gaming event
- Shooting star: Archer Brady Ellison aims at Tokyo gold with arm pain gone
- Athletics-Canada confirms race walk and marathon nominees for Tokyo
- BWF postpones 2021 World Badminton Championships to November to avoid clash with Olympics
- 2021 badminton Worlds rescheduled to avoid Tokyo clash
- Olympic golf qualifying shifts, as do the projected fields
- WADA search for answers after Sun Yang listed on China’s national training team
Olympics: China looms large behind Tokyo Games push have 311 words, post on www.straitstimes.com at April 18, 2021. This is cached page on Asean News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.