KUCHING: The coming Hari Raya Aidilfitri celebration in Sarawak will be limited to immediate family members only, says the state disaster management committee.
The committee said Muslims were allowed to celebrate Raya for the first seven days with strict compliance to standard operating procedures (SOP).
“The detailed SOP will be available on the website of the Sarawak Islamic Council at mis.sarawak.gov.my ,” it said in a statement on Tuesday (May 4).
The committee also announced that the enhanced movement control order (MCO) will be enforced at 11 longhouses, villages and workers’ quarters in the state until mid-May.
The affected localities are Rumah Tiut anak Usit longhouse in Tatau from April 28 to May 11; Rumah Mujah anak Atin, Bintulu (April 28-May 11); Rumah Sam anak Sumbang, Bintulu (April 29-May 12); Rumah Ajah anak Umkar, Tatau (April 29-May 12); Forescom Plywood Sdn Bhd workers’ quarters, Bintulu (April 29-May 12); Rumah Saran anak Belang, Tatau (May 1-14); Rumah Nelson anak Gima, Bintulu (May 2-15); Rumah Jungan anak Mitoh, Bintulu (May 2-15); Rumah Jembu anak Ensor, Betong (May 3-17); Kampung Bungey, Betong (May 5-18); and Kampung Tanjung, Saratok (May 5-18).
In addition, the enhanced MCO will be extended at Rumah Dinggai in Pakan from May 6 to 19 and Rumah Jawa in Sarikei from May 6 to 12.
This comes as Sarawak reported 620 new Covid-19 cases and four deaths on Tuesday, taking the state’s tally to 32,667 with 188 fatalities.
The committee said 64% of the new cases were recorded in Bintulu, Miri, Kapit, Sibu and Bukit Mabong districts.
It said 556 cases were detected through screening of close contacts and active clusters, while there was one imported case involving an individual returning from another state in Malaysia.
The committee added that two new community clusters were identified in Tebedu and Betong.
The Mongkos cluster at Kampung Mongkos in Tebedu has 14 confirmed cases from 70 individuals screened to date.
“The index case works as a restaurant chef and was infected in Kuching. It then spread to his family members and the community at Kampung Mongkos when he went back to the village. The infection also spread to a primary school in Tebedu and a secondary school in Serian,” the committee said.
Meanwhile, the Bungey cluster in Betong currently has 12 confirmed cases out of 497 individuals screened to date.
This brings the number of active clusters in the state to 78.
- WHO Urges World's Leaders to Act as COVID-19 Cases Surge
- WHO: Since WWII, No Crisis Demonstrates Need for UN More Than COVID-19
- COVID-19 ‘Right Under Control’ in Australia, Experts Say
- Kenya Reimposes COVID-19 Measures Amid Surging Cases
- Localised measures help to limit COVID-19 spread in Puducherry
- Trump: New York won't receive COVID-19 vaccine immediately
- New York Jewish congregations sue Cuomo over COVID-19 rules, alleging discrimination
- COVID-19: 13 Popular Coronavirus Food Myths Busted!
- Passengers at Delhi airport can get themselves tested for COVID-19 before departure
- Brother of COVID-19 victim files medical negligence complaint
- World Patient Safety Day 2020: Things Patients MUST Do After COVID-19 Recovery
- At least 56 people test positive for COVID-19 after "superspreader" wedding and birthday party in New York
- Household spread of Covid-19 is common and quick, a new CDC study finds
- Household Spread Of COVID-19 Common, Quick, New CDC Study Finds
- Justin Turner Won’t Be Disciplined By MLB For Maskless World Series Celebration After Positive COVID-19 Test
- Delhi: 50% slot for Covid-19 as govt adds 685 beds in 14 pvt hosps
- Covid-19 vaccine breakthrough: America has 100m doses of Pfizer shot that 'prevents 90%' of people from catching the virus - Trump celebrates the news he must wish had a come a week ago
- Not a 'good look': White House fight over masks signaled Covid-19 plans running awry
- COVID-19: awareness rallies taken out
- Don't get a false sense of security with Covid-19 testing. Here's why you can test negative but still be infected and contagious
Covid-19: Hari Raya celebrations in Sarawak limited to immediate family have 607 words, post on www.thestar.com.my at May 4, 2021. This is cached page on Asean News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.