MADRID: Ashleigh Barty and Iga Swiatek, the two most recent champions of the French Open, will meet in the last 16 of the Madrid Open.
They won their second-round matches on Saturday (Sunday in Manila) to set up the first-time meeting.
"(It's) a match that I look forward to," Barty said about Monday's meeting with Swiatek. "I've hit with her once in Melbourne a few months ago. She's got a seriously impressive game. It's a challenge that we go into with a really clean slate, a little bit of a period of trying to figure each other out and how our games match up."
Barty won the French Open in 2019 and Swiatek last year in Barty's absence.
The top-ranked Barty needed three sets to beat 80th-ranked Tamara Zidansek. Barty struggled with her first serves, but she compensated by striking nine aces and saved nine break points to outlast Zidansek 6-4, 1-6, 6-3. That took her win streak on clay to 13 matches after claiming the Stuttgart title last week.
"A really tough match," Barty said. "(I) made a lot of errors. I think I was missing in the right way, but still just a foot or two here or there makes a big difference. I felt like there were probably too many loose ones for me today."
Swiatek brushed aside Laura Siegemund, 6-3, 6-3, for the Pole's ninth win in a row on clay.
Three-time Madrid champion Petra Kvitova also advanced after she beat Angelique Kerber, 6-4, 7-5, in another battle of Grand Slam winners.
Kerber broke Kvitova's serve to start both sets. But the Czech canceled the advantage right back and then broke Kerber's serve to close it out. AP
- PSG forwards Mbappe, Cavani ruled out of Real Madrid clash
- Tuesday's French Open Betting
- Coco Gauff, 15, wins first WTA title, beating former French Open champ
- Real Madrid fend off late Granada charge
- Osaka savours Beijing title after US Open letdown
- Barty in party mood after epic Wuhan win
- Tennis: Osaka, Thiem win China Open finals
- PSG vs Real Madrid live score and Champions League goal updates
- Michael Owen tips English club to win Champions League again
- A very Spanish PSG and a very French Real Madrid
- Atletico Madrid vs Real Madrid: A derby in style
- If Sarabia, Di Maria and Icardi are hurting Real Madrid...
- Real Madrid fulfil their promise to run until the end
- Zidane: I know Hazard is going to succeed at Real Madrid
- Angel di Maria wants revenge against Real Madrid
- Alphonse Areola handed surprise Real Madrid debut
- Klopp wary of ‘stubborn’ Napoli ahead of Champions League clash
- Atletico Madrid 2-2 Juventus: Visitors blow two-goal lead
- Anthony Taylor will referee PSG vs Real Madrid
- Open letter to Zidane from inside the Bernabeu
French Open champions Barty and Swiatek set up Madrid clash have 462 words, post on www.manilatimes.net at May 2, 2021. This is cached page on Asean News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.