BEIJING: Chinese fans of the popular sitcom “Friends” were furious after censors cut guest stars Lady Gaga, Justin Bieber and the Korean boy band BTS from the much-awaited reunion episode.
When the one-off special of the beloved 1990s sitcom was streamed on three Chinese video platforms, cameos by the celebrities who have all incurred the wrath of the ruling Communist Party were removed from all versions.
Lady Gaga was banned from touring China in 2016 after she met with the exiled Tibetan spiritual leader Dalai Lama, who has been labelled as a separatist by Beijing.
Bieber has been blocked since 2014 when he posted a photo of himself at the controversial Yasukuni Shrine in Tokyo that honours Japan’s war dead, including convicted war criminals from World War II.
BTS angered the Party last year when they omitted any reference to Chinese fighters who died during the Korean War when speaking about the “history of pain” in the region.
Chinese fans were also quick to point out that local versions of the Friends: The Reunion expunged all LGBTQ references from special, which was several minutes shorter than the 104-minute show released worldwide on HBO Max on Thursday.
The Chinese streaming services iQiyi, Youku and Tencent Video did not answer AFP queries about what prompted the censorship.
The sitcom about six white New Yorkers has a huge following among Chinese millennials and is even recommended in schools as a way to learn English.
The show’s popularity has also spawned Central Perk cafes in several Chinese cities, styled after the hangout regularly featured in the show.
Angry fans took to social media to vent out their frustration at the censorship.
“I was waiting for weeks to watch the Friends reunion only to find that the version streamed in China was all mangled,” wrote one user.
“Why can’t the censors just let us enjoy a sitcom?” asked another.
Earning the wrath of Chinese authorities has become costly for entertainers after China became the world’s box office last year surpassing the United States.
Earlier this week, the American wrestler and actor John Cena apologised after stirring a hornet’s nest by referring to Taiwan as a country while promoting his latest movie Fast and Furious 9 . Beijing considers the democratic island a renegade province.
- A night of upsets at the Oscars: Green Book shocks with best picture win over favourite Roma while Glenn Close and Lady Gaga are left disappointed when Olivia Colman wins best actress
- Everything Lady Gaga said about Bradley Cooper and why it worried Irina Shayk
- Lady Gaga Now Into ‘Fortnight,’ No Longer Into Remembering Her Friends’ Birthdays
- Final months of Bradley Cooper and Irina Shayk's doomed romance - after THAT Lady Gaga performance
- A Star Is Born Again: Lady Gaga’s Vegas Residency Dazzles
- Grammys 2019: Michelle Obama makes surprise appearance alongside Alicia Keys and Lady Gaga
- Irina Shayk UNFOLLOWS Lady Gaga as Bradley Cooper romance claims heat up
- Lady Gaga, is that you? Ava Max turns heads as she channels pop sensation in superwoman ensemble at the VMAs
- Lady Gaga reveals she has PTSD: 'I suffer from a mental illness'
- Oscars 2019: Lady Gaga wins her first-ever Academy award, 'Green Book' takes home best picture
- Internet Reacts to Lady Gaga Not Knowing What Fortnite Is
- ‘A Star Is Born’ Review: Cooper, Lady Gaga Hit All the Right Notes
- Frederic Aspiras, the man who transformed Lady Gaga
- Born This Way: Russian 'Lady Gaga' Becomes Newest Game of Thrones Star
- Lady Gaga Relaxes On Her Private Jet From Vegas, Shows Off Pink Ponytails: See Pics
- California fire: Will Smith and Lady Gaga share terrifying Malibu evacuation footage
- Irina Shayk 'accused Bradley Cooper of Gaga affair multiple times' before split
- Peppa Pig blocked from China's Douyin video platform
- Jennifer Aniston credits Friends for her success as she's honored with Icon Award at 2019 People's Choice Awards in LA
- Helen Flanagan wears statement black dress as she poses up a storm alongside male friend at beauty launch
'Friends': The One where China Censors Lady Gaga have 657 words, post on www.bangkokpost.com at May 29, 2021. This is cached page on Asean News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.