INQUIRER.net Stock Photo
The teenager accused of illegally accessing fellow students' school accounts to rig her high school's Homecoming Queen election along with her mother will be charged as an adult in Florida in the United States.
Emily Rose Grover, who was only 17 at the time of the crime, and her 50-year-old mother, Laura Rose Carroll, were arrested last March, as per Pensacola News Journal on May 3.
Grover turned 18 on April 16, which is why she will be charged as an adult as Assistant State Attorney John Molchan noted that the "juvenile [court] cannot do anything or supervise them after they become 18."
"And so it just makes better sense to move them into adult court where they can be supervised effectively," Molchan was quoted as saying.
The mother-daughter duo is being charged with offenses against users of computers, computer systems, computer networks and electronic devices (third-degree felony), unlawful use of a two-way communications device (third-degree felony), criminal use of personally identifiable information (third-degree felony) and conspiracy to commit these offenses (first-degree misdemeanor).
Grover and Carroll will be arraigned on May 14, according to the report. Despite charging Grover as an adult, the court can still impose juvenile sanctions, the report said.
Grover was a student of Tate High School, while her mother is an assistant principal of Belleview Elementary in Pensacola. They allegedly were able to commit the crime as Carroll had at the time district-level access to the school board's FOCUS program.
The said program is a student information system that holds student data such as grades, medical history, test scores, disciplinary actions and others.
Authorities also determined that Carroll accessed 212 student Focus accounts in October 2020. In total, police found that 246 "student" votes were cast from Carroll's phone and a computer associated with her home address, the Florida Department of Law Enforcement was cited as saying by WKRG on March 15.
As early as August 2019, Carroll's account had been used to access 372 school records, 339 of which were of Tate High School students. She has since been suspended from her position.
Other students told investigators that Grover, who has since been expelled from the school, also openly talked about looking at her peers' test scores and other data by using her mother's Focus account.
Although arrest records did not disclose who won the crown, Grover is believed to have been named Homecoming Queen based on videos and photos online, according to the report.
Grover is currently free on a $2,000 bond, while Carroll is free on a $6,000 bond. They both face a maximum 16-year sentence, according to the Associated Press yesterday, May 4. Ian Biong / ra
- Alabama teen accused of murdering 5 relatives has shown 'no remorse'
- Trump's 234 pages of 'election fraud' affidavits include Detroit poll watcher who says he thought military wouldn't vote Biden and that 'independent' watchers were liberals 'because they wanted to work in Brooklyn'
- Kayleigh McEnany reveals more affidavits will be released as she doubles down on 'election fraud' claiming votes for Trump were changed and 120-year-olds voted
- Biden overtakes Trump in Pennsylvania AND Georgia and is hours from victory - but President says the election is 'not over' after incredible rant claiming conspiracy against him
- 2020 Election Live Updates: Historic Biden-Harris victory sparks joyous celebrations across Bay Area
- 2020 Election Live Updates: Historic Biden-Harris victory sparks joyous celebrations around Bay Area
- Fistfight Breaks Out Between Adult Male Biden Supporters and Teen Trump Supporters in North Carolina
- Philadelphia's Republican commissioner calls Trump 'deranged' for accusations of voter fraud and reveals that the president's supporters have threatened to kill his officials
- Trump tears into Fox News in tweet saying network cost him the election shortly after host Neil Cavuto cut away from Kayleigh McEnany over 'illegal voting' smears - and Sandra Smith ridiculed guest who questioned election result
- TV networks call election for Joe Biden as votes in Pennsylvania put him over the top - while Donald Trump plays golf and his campaign issues statement saying he does NOT accept the outcome
- International Observers, Election Experts Are Worried About US Democracy
- Detectives: Trap Door Under Home Concealed Calaveras Co. Teen Missing For More Than A Week
- London Mayoral Candidate Slams Trump and Biden, Accuses Media of 'Gaslighting' Legitimate Opposition
- Joe Biden pleads with America to 'be patient and calm' in wait for election results saying he has 'no doubt' that he has beaten Donald Trump - who has not been seen since Wednesday at 2.30am and whose supporters have mobbed counts
- Federal Election Officials Blast Trump's 'Baseless Accusations' About Vote
- US elections 2020 | Biden on cusp of presidency after gains in Pennsylvania
- US Election 2020: Result likely today? Here's what we know so far
- US Election 2020: Win or lose, Donald Trump will remain a powerful and disruptive force
- Reported Fraud in US Elections to Weaken Biden's Authority as President, Ex-Senator Says
- Melania looks sensational in $4,500 chain-print Gucci dress as she votes in 77 degree Florida heat after final pre-election poll showed Joe Biden holding a narrow lead in swing state
Teen accused of rigging Homecoming Queen election to be charged as adult have 851 words, post on newsinfo.inquirer.net at May 5, 2021. This is cached page on Asean News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.