Vietnam has discovered a new Covid-19 variant which spreads quickly by air and is a combination of the Indian and British strains, state media reported Saturday.
The country is struggling to deal with fresh outbreaks across more than half of its territory including industrial zones and big cities such as Hanoi and Ho Chi Minh City.
More than 6,700 cases including 47 deaths have been reported in Vietnam — the lion’s share have occurred since April.
“We have discovered a new hybrid variant from the Indian and the UK strains,” Health Minister Nguyen Thanh Long was quoted telling a national meeting on the pandemic Saturday.
“The characteristic of this strain is that it spreads quickly in the air. The concentration of virus in the throat fluid increases rapidly and spreads very strongly to the surrounding environment.”
He did not specify the number of cases recorded with this new variant but said Vietnam will soon announce the discovery in the world’s map of genetic strains.
There were seven known coronavirus variants in Vietnam before Long’s announcement, according to the Ministry of Health.
The communist country has previously received widespread applause for its aggressive pandemic response, with mass quarantines and strict contact tracing helping keep infection rates relatively low.
The new round of infections has made the public and government fearful and authorities quickly moved to place strict limits on movement and business activity.
Cafes, restaurants, hair salons and massage parlours as well as tourism and religious spots have been ordered to close in various areas of the country.
Vietnam — a country of 97 million people — has vaccinated a little over a million citizens.
It is now ramping up its jab rollout and hopes to achieve herd immunity by the end of the year, according to the minister for health.
Authorities have called on people and businesses to donate money to help procure vaccines, while embassies and international organisations have been contacted for assistance, state media reported.
The country presently has close to two million doses of AstraZeneca’s vaccine remaining, but said it is buying more than 30 million doses of the Pfizer shot.
It is also in talks with Russia to produce Sputnik V, according to state media, and is working on a home-grown vaccine.
- Vietnam turns away cruise ship over coronavirus fears: state media
- US to tighten rules on Chinese state media
- New China virus cases drop for third day as toll passes 1,600
- Iran's first 2 coronavirus patients die, state media says
- The Latest: Hong Kong Catholics suspend Masses over virus
- Chinese President Xi’s early involvement in virus outbreak raises questions
- U.S. says it’s ready to help North Korea combat virus
- Coronavirus spreading with new cases reported around the world as death toll rises to 26
- Vietnam quarantines rural community of 10,000 because of coronavirus
- Vietnam turns away two cruise ships over coronavirus fears
- Virus cases surge after China revises way count is tallied
- China confirms new coronavirus can spread between humans
- China reports large drop in new coronavirus cases in province at heart of outbreak
- Virus storytellers challenge China’s official narrative
- China 'appoints its top military bio-warfare expert to take over secretive virus lab in Wuhan', sparking conspiracy theories that coronavirus outbreak is linked to Beijing's army
- Can a Database of Animal Viruses Help Predict the Next Pandemic?
- China sees rise in new virus cases, death toll rises by 105
- Fighting a virus, yet again: How controlling the Nipah outbreak helped Kerala to take on COVID-19
- China COVID-19 toll leaps past 1,600 as new cases slow
- New virus has infected more than 71,000 people globally
Vietnam discovers new hybrid virus variant: state media have 633 words, post on www.thejakartapost.com at May 29, 2021. This is cached page on Asean News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.