LONDON: Ineos Grenadiers chief Dave Brailsford promised an aggressive strategy at the Tour de France after the British team named its line-up for the race on Friday.
Last year’s surprise Giro d’Italia winner Tao Geoghegan Hart will make his Tour de France debut while 2018 champion Geraint Thomas is also in the eight-man squad.
Mountain specialist Richard Carapaz, who won the Tour de Suisse this month, Jonathan Castroviejo, Michal Kwiatkowski, Richie Porte, Luke Rowe and Dylan van Baarle complete the squad.
“We won’t win this tour by sitting in the wheels. We have the team to make it a racers’ race, take the initiative, seize every opportunity and make our opposition focus for every kilometre of every stage,” Team Principal Brailsford said.
“We have changed our race philosophy this season to being more open and aggressive. Our performances have built all season and a joy of racing has infused the whole team.
“This more adventurous approach has led us to fearless racing and this is exactly how we will hit the Tour.”
Brailsford was often criticised for his defensive tactics during domination with Team Sky – with one leader being supported by a squadron of high-quality riders selected to grind down the general classification rivals.
But in the philosophy has changed, as seen by Londoner Geoghegan Hart’s thrilling Giro win last year.
“We will seek out every moment in every stage where the race is on and try to exploit it,” Brailsford said.
“Key for us this Tour is our collective strength and camaraderie to the end. Expect the unexpected.”
(Reporting by Martyn Herman, editing by Pritha Sarkar)
- Obama's final report card: Did he live up to his promise?
- Trump slams Obama over not crossing 'red line' in Syria with 'Animal Assad'
- China Flies Hong Kong Chief into Beijing for Communist Anniversary
- Aaditya Thackeray: Violence has no place in Shiv Sena anymore
- Corporates must not bear cost of non-compliant businesses: CFO, Mitsubishi Electric India
- How the participants of the T20 WC Qualifier stack up
- Chipotle Eats Itself
- Edited Transcript of PFPT earnings conference call or presentation 24-Oct-19 8:30pm GMT
- Iran Prepares For War With Israel
- Tulsi Gabbard says Hillary Clinton has 'blood on her hands' and brands her the 'embodiment of corruption' after the former Secretary of State claimed she was a 'favorite of the Russians' as fellow Democratic candidates flock to the veteran's defense
- With a handshake, the Queen forgives: She greets Martin McGuinness - the man who headed terror army that murdered her beloved cousin - and even manages a smile
- Survivors of our hell
- Edited Transcript of TBK earnings conference call or presentation 17-Oct-19 12:00pm GMT
- Edited Transcript of CYBE earnings conference call or presentation 23-Oct-19 8:30pm GMT
- Battling cancer. Asked to spin for Ed. And what they REALLY tell me when we turn the cameras off! Mischievous, moving and marvellously indiscreet - the brilliant memoirs of BBC's NICK ROBINSON
- The Wisdom of Chairman Ko
- The governors’ races, two weeks out
- Could the 2020 field get BIGGER? Hillary Clinton, Michelle Obama, Michael Bloomberg, Eric Holder and even John Kerry field anxious requests to rescue Democrats from lackluster presidential options
- Extreme Off-Site
- Inside TurboTax's Fight To Stop Americans From Filing Taxes For Free
Cycling-Ineos chief Brailsford promises attacking Tour after announcing line-up have 518 words, post on www.channelnewsasia.com at June 19, 2021. This is cached page on Asean News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.