PETALING JAYA: Pakatan Hara_pan and other Opposition leaders have called on the government not to prolong the suspension of Parliament.
In a statement by PKR president Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim, Amanah president Mohamad Sabu and DAP secretary-general Lim Guan Eng, the Pakatan Harapan presidential council said that the government needed to heed the advice of the Yang di-Pertuan Agong on reconvening Parliament as soon as possible.
On Wednesday, Yang di-Pertuan Agong Al-Sultan Abdullah Ri'ayatuddin Al-Mustafa Billah Shah expressed his opinion that Parliament must reconvene as soon as possible.
His Majesty said this was to enable the Emergency and the Covid-19 National Recovery Plan to be debated by lawmakers.
The Pakatan leaders said it was important to reconvene Parliament to ensure checks and balances and to ensure good governance.
The trio added that with the reconvening of Parliament, the Emergency Ordinances, the national recovery plan and allocations to help the people could be discussed by elected lawmakers.
"If the Prime Minister continues to delay or give reasons to prolong the suspension of Parliament, it not only means that he refuses to heed the call, but it also gives the impression that he has lost confidence in governing.
"And if the Prime Minister still refuses to advice Tuanku immediately, he should take the honourable action of resigning, " said the Pakatan leaders yesterday.
Muar MP Syed Saddiq Syed Abdul Rahman also concurred, saying that Parliament should be reconvened immediately.
"The government should adhere to the King's advice.
"Don't give anymore excuses, " he added.
The head of the Tamat Darurat (End the State of Emergency) committee and Shah Alam MP Khalid Abdul Samad believed that the Yang di-Pertuan Agong had the power to set a suitable date for Parliament to sit without waiting on the advice of the Prime Minister.
He argued that the King had the power to do this under Sections 14 and 15 of the Emergency (Essential Powers) Ordinance 2021.
Khalid said the committee was also disappointed with Minister in the Prime Minister's Department Datuk Seri Takiyuddin Hassan's remark that the King had not specified when Parliament must reconvene.
"It is quite obvious that the suggestion to reopen Parliament threemonths from now is not good enough and is too late, " said Khalid.
Takiyuddin also said Prime Minister Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin had said that Parliament would reconvene in September or October when announcing the National Recovery Plan on Tuesday.
- Govt figures ask who is 'playing politics' over bodies of slain Hazara coal miners
- Opposition alliance against Pakistan govt 'died its own death': Imran Khan
- FM Qureshi says govt is 'ready' to discuss national issues with Opposition
- America's enemies seize on Trump's Capitol chaos: Russia says US democracy is 'limping on both feet' while Iran and China revel in sight of mob storming Capitol
- Farm laws stir: Govt's 6th round of meeting with farm leaders today
- The day PDM resigns will mark the govt's end: Maryam in Bahawalpur
- Joe Biden says 'that's one of the few things we agree on' after Donald Trump snubs his inauguration but says he would be 'honored' if Mike Pence comes and says it's up to Congress to decide on impeachment
- Trump says he WON'T attend Biden's inauguration and calls MAGA supporters 'great patriots' who 'will not be disrespected' - as aides claim he's acting like 'Mad King George and is a total monster'
- Govt tells farmer leaders a committee could be formed to deliberate on the demands regarding farm laws
- Nepal political crisis: Chinese delegation meets top NCP leaders Prachanda, Madhav Nepal
- Pak. govt. threatens Opposition with cases for making derogatory remarks against Army
- Opposition Activists Detained For ‘Incitement’ as Cambodia Court Sentences Acting Party Chief
- New jab policy will save MANY lives: Jonathan Van Tam says waiting 12 weeks rather than original three is the best way to save most vulnerable from dying of Covid as first boxes of Oxford vaccine arrive
- Black Georgia voters' high turnout helped solidify a historic win, organizers say
- I turned down Bobby Kennedy, says Joan Collins... and Warren Beatty WAS forceful in the feathers! Nothing is off limits as Dame Joan joins her friend PIERS MORGAN for a simply riotous lunch
- Historic Ebenezer Baptist Church where Dr. Martin Luther King once preached is thrust into spotlight by Georgia senate race as its senior pastor Raphael Warnock runs against GOP incumbent Kelly Loeffler
- Govt will pay 'full attention to the socio-economic development of Balochistan,' says PM Imran Khan
- Pope Francis endorses same-sex civil unions, saying: 'Homosexuals are children of God and have the right to be in a family'
- Chinese delegation resumes talks with Nepali leaders; meets NC leader Bahadur Deuba
- NOW Government says BTECs can be cancelled... just HOURS before pupils are due to sit first exams - amid fury over axing of GCSEs and A-levels with predicted grades used for second year
Govt should adhere to the King’s advice, say Opposition leaders have 801 words, post on www.thestar.com.my at June 18, 2021. This is cached page on Asean News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.