(Reuters) – Striker Kei Kamara scored a first half penalty as Sierra Leone sealed a berth at the Africa Cup of Nations tournament for the first time since 1996, following a 1-0 victory over Benin in their twice-postponed qualifier in neutral Conakry on Tuesday.
Kamara slotted in the spot-kick after 19 minutes and the Leone Stars then were forced to weather waves of Benin attacks, but were able to hold on for a historic victory and earn a place in the 24-team continental finals scheduled for Cameroon early next year.
Sierra Leone needed victory to move above Benin, who had required just a point to seal second place behind group winners Nigeria.
The final fixture in the pool was originally scheduled for Freetown on March 30, but was postponed after Benin refused to play having been told 90 minutes before kick-off that five of their players had tested positive for COVID-19.
The Confederation of African Football postponed the game to yesterday in Guinea, but just before kick off, it was the Leone Stars' turn to launch a vehement protest after they were told six players and two members of their technical team had tested positive.
They demanded the match be postponed again to Tuesday and the tests done again, and after all eight individuals returned negative results the match finally went ahead.
(Reporting by Nick Said; Editing by Hugh Lawson)
- Covid vaccine gap: How South Africa hopes to bridge the divide
- Islanders Quietly Close Their Door to the Stanley Cup Finals
- India vs West Indies Live Stream: How to Watch Cricket World Cup 2019 Telecast on Mobile and PC
- Nelson Mandela, South Africa’s Liberator as Prisoner and President, Dies at 95
- The USA's World Cup stars should be applauded for their activism - they're champions off the field as well as on
- When the Monkey Chants Are for You: A Soccer Star’s View of Racist Abuse
- England not settling for a semi-final, says Maguire after thumping Ukraine win
- Croatia Digs Deeper, Burying England’s World Cup Dreams
- In Africa, vaccine hesitancy adds to slow rollout of doses
- Soccer-CFA president confirms Li to remain at China's helm
- France, With Flash to Spare, Reaches the World Cup Final
- England 2-0 Germany RECAP: Three Lions overcome hoodoo to reach Euro 2020 quarter-finals
- Scotland Returns to Soccer’s Heights, Trailed by Its Tartan Army
- France Rolls Past Uruguay and Heads to World Cup Semifinals
- How France Won Its Second World Cup Title
- Inside Line: Reviewing England's 2020 - how are they rebuilding from the World Cup final wreckage?
- A Barcelona Star on Style, Substance and Another Champions League Final
- Copa America 2021 odds, picks, predictions: Proven soccer expert reveals best bets for Argentina vs. Ecuador
- UEFA Euro 2020 odds, picks, predictions: European soccer expert reveals best bets for England vs. Germany
- Croatia Buries Argentina’s World Cup Hopes in a Deep Hole
Soccer-Sierra Leone end long wait for Africa Cup of Nations finals berth have 453 words, post on www.thestar.com.my at June 16, 2021. This is cached page on Asean News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.