Carlos Yulo during the men's all around gymnastics qualification. INQUIRER PHOTO/FRANCIS OCHOA
TOKYO—Carlos Yulo was at a loss for words Saturday night after failing to qualify for the floor exercise final, the gymnastics event where he was favored to win a gold medal in the Tokyo Olympics here.
"I don't know what happened," he said in Filipino as he was walking past the mixed zone at Ariake Gymnastics center late Saturday evening.
"I came here really prepared. I did my best," Yulo added. "Maybe it just wasn't meant for me."
Yulo fumbled a landing early in his routine and wound up scoring low on execution to finish with 13.566 points.
"It's hard to explain [what happened with the landing]," he said.
Yulo, the reigning world champion in floor exercise, finished 44th in the event.
Yulo made it to the vault finals, however, placing sixth in the preliminaries with 14.712. Officials had pinned their hopes on Yulo delivering the first Olympic gold for the Philippines via his pet floor exercise while finishing at the podium in vault and the parallel bars.
- Maddie & Tae Get Personal About "Love, Loss and Redemption" in New Music
- How Linda Hamilton Got Back In Sarah Connor Shape For ‘Terminator: Dark Fate’: Her Trainer Explains
- Khloé Kardashian on Her Weight Loss Success: 'I've Cut Out Soda Completely'
- 'He loves his food!' Gregg Wallace, 55, says baby son Sid takes after him as he reveals he wants to get down to '15% bodyfat' after FOUR stone weight loss
- A New Career in a New Town: Finding David Bowie's Berlin
- Police and military boats will patrol south coast beaches and use megaphones to shout at covidiots over the Easter weekend amid fears sweltering temperatures could tempt Britons to break lock-down
- King Crimson’s ’21st Century Schizoid Man’: Inside Prog’s Big Bang
- Australian politics live: Thursday December 6
- Priti Patel FINALLY surfaces in radio interview to slap down overzealous police after they threaten to check people's shopping for 'non-essential' items and set up roadblocks to ensure motorists only make legitimate trips during coronavirus lockdown
- Matthew Barney's Cremaster Cycle: nine hours of 'challenging' art on film
- The President and the Plague
- Getting Super for Summer: We Tried Kumail Nanjiani's Workout to See If We Could Get Ripped Too (Part 3)
- Beyond peace and quiet
- Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez's controversial Green New Deal is America's most ambitious — and criticised — climate policy to date
- 'Cancelled holiday to Spain, so Spain is coming to us!' Britons get creative with bank holiday lockdown plans as sales of paddling pools surge 4000% and temperatures are set to hit 77F today and climb even higher tomorrow
- Pictured: Heavily pregnant NHS nurse, 28, who died from coronavirus after her daughter was saved by emergency C-section as hospital chief hails baby's survival a 'beacon of light at this very dark time'
- Dove Cameron Says She Has 'Close to Nothing Left' After Death of
- Ari Emanuel and Patrick Whitesell Unleashed: WME-IMG's Strategy, IPO Plans, China and the Doubters
- FMIA: From His Hollywood Haven, Julian Edelman Reflects on LIII MVP, His Path and Being a Perfect Patriot
- Sofia Carson Breaks Her Silence on
Carlos Yulo can’t find words to explain floor exercise loss have 554 words, post on sports.inquirer.net at July 24, 2021. This is cached page on Asean News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.