A resident in Olongapo City gets inoculated against COVID-19 during a recent mass vaccination at the SMX Convention Center of SM Olongapo Central. (Photo courtesy of Olongapo City Information Center)
MANILA, Philippines — President Rodrigo Rodrigo Duterte has no misgivings about persons already vaccinated against COVID-19 going outside.
"I do not have any qualms about people going out if they're vaccinated," Duterte said, speaking partly in Filipino, in a taped speech that aired late Wednesday. "What's the purpose of having a vaccine if you're not going out?"
"Those who are vaccinated, you may now roam around. Those are not vaccinated, stand aside. I'll make plans about what to do with you," he added.
Duterte said a law might be needed for unvaccinated persons going around, but said he could not wait for that to be passed.
"There is no law, but the necessity is there," he said. "I'll answer for that. This is my order: You will be returned to your house. That's my order. You will be returned to your house. I'll face that. I assume full responsibility for that," he said.
"So if you want to go out, get vaccinated. If you don't want to go out, I'm telling the authorities down there to give it [the vaccine] to someone else. Why should they wait for you?" Duterte said.
Earlier, Duterte said persons who would refuse to get vaccinated against COVID-19 should just stay home.
The country has surpassed its target of administering 500,000 doses in a day with over 659,000 given on Wednesday alone.
Meanwhile, more than 6.8 million individuals have been so far fully vaccinated against COVID-19.
- Duterte: I have evidence vs De Lima
- Duterte: It's Binay vs Poe in 2016 presidential polls
- Getting lost in translation in the fight vs corruption
- The country according to Duterte
- Advice for Duterte and the bishops: Don’t fight
- Fast facts on mayors, vice mayors in Duterte’s drug war
- Makati City launches vaccination program vs Japanese encephalitis
- Palace: Noy officials to blame for vaccine
- A national consensus: Support for Duterte’s war vs illegal drugs even with EJKs
- Dengue vaccine not deadly – Palace
- Duterte wants Sanofi to refund govt
- Senate invites Aquino to vaccine probe
- Lawmakers warned vs passing marijuana bill
- Another deadly virus is poised to go global
- Duterte: Give me another year vs drugs
- Was Aquino’s P3.5B purchase of the dengue vaccine the worst case of corruption ever?
- AFP and DND say: No threat of coup attempt vs Duterte
- No coup threat vs Du30 – DND, AFP; police asked to explain news ‘blackout’
- NFL POWER RANKINGS: Where all 32 teams stand going into Week 1
- DAR chief next to go? CA defers confirmation
Duterte not worried about persons already vaccinated vs COVID-19 going out have 456 words, post on newsinfo.inquirer.net at July 29, 2021. This is cached page on Asean News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.