KUALA LUMPUR: The Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC) said a settlement had been reached with Paul Geoffrey Stadlen and Datuk Mohd Hafarizam Harun, who were charged under the Anti-Money Laundering, Anti-Terrorism Financing and Proceeds of Unlawful Activities Act (AMLATFPUAA) involving RM15mil.
MACC clarify this was based on an agreement with the Attorney General’s Chambers.
In a statement on Friday (July 30), MACC said Paul Geoffrey Stadlen has agreed to voluntarily release in its entirety RM7,192,873.84 which would be transferred to the trust account of 1Malaysia Development Berhad (1MDB).
“The matter was decided after taking into account that the amount was justified to be forfeited. Accordingly, the case against him was withdrawn.
“The Attorney-General’s Chambers also decided that a RM590,587.26 compound under Section 92 (1) of AMLATFPUAA be imposed on Mohd Hafarizam after taking into account and considering the reasonable reasons including the withdrawal of the case against Paul Geoffrey Stadlen,” said the MACC.
It added the charge against Hafarizam was withdrawn after the compound was settled.
“Previously, charges against Stadlen were made without his presence on February 20, 2019, while Mohd Hafarizam was charged on August 3, 2020, at the Kuala Lumpur Sessions Court,” it said.
Earlier Friday (July 30) Mohd Hafarizam was acquitted by the Sessions Court of three money-laundering charges involving RM15mil that he received from former prime minister Datuk Seri Najib Razak.
Sessions Court judge Suzana Hussin made the order of discharge and acquittal after the court was informed of the prosecution's intention to withdraw the charges against Mohd Hafarizam, who is an Umno legal adviser.
Deputy Public Prosecutor Datuk Ishak Mohd Yusoff said the prosecution is withdrawing the charges as Mohd Hafarizam had paid a compound.
"All of the charges against the accused are withdrawn because he has agreed to pay a compound in the case," Ishak told the court during the case mention on Friday.
- Nick Clegg's LBC phone-in and his environment speech: Politics live blog
- Tabloid’s Secret Scheme to Funnel $1 Million to Accused Pedophile R. Kelly
- The Pickup Artist Rape Ring
- Bowe Bergdahl: America’s Last Prisoner of War
- Does Asylum Have a Future at the Southern Border?
- Every coalition U-turn: the list in full
- How Uber conquered London
- An Exhaustive List of All of the Allegations Against Harvey Weinstein
- Meet Trump's Cabinet and Inner Circle
- The Rolling Stones Disaster at Altamont: Let It Bleed
- How a discarded cigarette led to an arrest in Idaho teen Angie Dodge's cold case murder
- Annabella Sciorra and Daryl Hannah join dozens making accusations against Harvey Weinstein
- The Catholic Church’s Secret Sex-Crime Files
MACC: Charges dropped against Umno legal adviser, Stadlen after agreement with AGC have 416 words, post on www.thestar.com.my at July 30, 2021. This is cached page on Asean News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.