WASHINGTON (Reuters) – The delegation U.S. President Joe Biden sent to Haiti is “safe” after gunshots were heard near the funeral for the Caribbean country’s former leader, Jovenel Moise, the White House said on Friday.
“The presidential delegation is safe and accounted for in light of the reported shootings outside of the funeral,” White House press secretary Jen Psaki told reporters.
“We are deeply concerned about unrest in Haiti.”
The delegation to the funeral, which was led by U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations Linda Thomas-Greenfield, is returning home slightly earlier than originally expected due to the security concern, according to a source familiar with the situation.
“The Haitian people deserve democracy, stability, security, and prosperity, and we stand with them in this time of crisis,” Thomas-Greenfield said on Twitter, adding that they discussed matters with the Haitian leadership. “We urge everyone to express themselves peacefully and refrain from violence.”
(Reporting by Jeff Mason in Washington and Michelle Nichols in New York; Writing by Trevor Hunnicutt, Editing by Franklin Paul and Giles Elgood)
- White House says Bush will veto defense policy bill
- White House Correspondents’ Dinner: See Michelle Wolf’s Scathing Speech
- White House Assistant on McCain, Reportedly: 'It Doesn't Matter, He's Dying Anyway'
- Will Any Stars Attend Trump’s White House Correspondents’ Dinner?
- Ink-Splattered Trump Boys Counter Media Bias By Hand-Printing Own Newspaper In White House Basement
- Secret Service facing heat following success of White House party crashers Tareq and Michaele Salahi
- Taylor Swift's fan legion jams airport service in Tokyo; White House security's a going concern
- Pat Robertson's 'pact with the Devil' Haiti comments leave White House adviser Jarrett 'speechless'
- American, Italian hostages killed in U.S. drone attack against Al Qaeda in Pakistan: White House
- White House party crashers Michaele and Tareq Salahi to plead Fifth if subpoenaed by Congress
- Rush Limbaugh Haiti earthquake comments are 'really stupid,' says White House press secretary Gibbs
- Ducey to Trump: Republicans need to take back the White House
- President Obama talks candidly with pal Oprah Winfrey in 'White House Christmas Special'
- White House aides to attend funeral of black teen
- Energy Secretary Rick Perry eyeing White House exit in November
- Netanyahu says he means ‘no disrespect’ to White House as Obama spokesman warns Israeli leader to be careful
- Obama's best jokes at this year's White House Correspondents' dinner (VIDEO)
- U.S. ambassadors pushed Ukraine to investigate as condition for White House visit, texts show - NBC News
- OH SHOOT ! VEEP HAD NO LICENSE FOR QUAIL HUNT. And why did White House keep shotgun accident under wraps?
- CHINA SCREECH. PROTESTER DISRUPTS SPEECH AT WHITE HOUSE
White House says delegation to Haiti safe after gunshots heard at president's funeral have 421 words, post on www.thestar.com.my at July 24, 2021. This is cached page on Asean News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.