IPOH: Perak is expected to see a surge of Covid-19 cases in the coming weeks, says Tan Sri Dr Noor Hisham Abdullah.
The Health director-general said there is an increase in positive cases in the state of late and he expects the numbers to increase in the next two to three weeks.
“There has been an increase in cases lately, including those in Category Four and Five who need critical treatment.
“As of July 31, there are 121 patients currently being treated in intensive care units (ICU) with an average rate of seven days of ICU bed usage exceeding 100%,” he said in a Facebook post late Saturday (July 31) night.
“The state Health Department and various agencies are working to face the growing number of Covid-19 cases that are expected to occur in the next two to three weeks,” he added.
Dr Noor Hisham had visited Raja Permaisuri Bainun Hospital, Taiping Hospital, Tapah Hospital and Slim River Hospital to check on preparations to face the surge of cases.
Perak recorded 775 new daily cases on Saturday, with the cumulative total now at 37,679 cases in the state since the pandemic began.
There are now 28 active clusters in the state.
Dr Noor Hisham also said an operations room has been set up to ensure there are sufficient beds to treat patients in the state.
He added that a total of 265 beds, including 42 in ICU, have been allocated for Covid-19 patients.
- Wisconsin reports record number of COVID-19 deaths, hospitalizations and cases
- Covid-19 may cause prolonged gut infection, scientists say
- Wisconsin faces Covid-19 crisis as coronavirus cases continue to rise, governor says
- COVID-19 could fuel more conflict, poverty, starvation, says UN
- India’s Covid-19 tally crosses 43 lakh mark, Centre says 60% cases from five states alone
- Mumbai COVID-19 tracker: 800 new cases, drop in casualties
- Covid-19 vaccine may be ready by October, says Donald Trump
- Australia to receive first batch of AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccine in January 2021 - PM to say
- Covid-19 vaccine possible by 2021 first quarter, says Harsh Vardhan
- Maharashtra touches new COVID-19 peak: 23,816 cases
- Covid-19: France expects more severe infections in next two weeks
- COVID-19: 10% of positive cases in Nigeria are children — Health Minister
- Covid-19: Rise in Mumbai cases prompts rethink, BMC mulls roping in more private hospitals
- RPT-CORRECTED-Australia to receive first batch of AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccine in Jan 2021 - PM to say
- White House COVID-19 outbreak widens, as cases mount
- COVID-19 vaccine to be priced fairly, ministry says
- Who has COVID-19? This White House case tracker and live dashboard will tell you
- COVID-19: Working from home remains best approach, says CWG’s Head of HR
- Bihar polls: ‘BJP’s Covid-19 vaccine promise not a poll violation,’ says EC
- Government set to crackdown on young people spreading Covid after Britain reports 30 more deaths from Covid-19 in biggest spike for six weeks and 2,420 more people test positive for the disease
Covid-19: Perak expected to see a surge in cases in coming weeks, says Health DG have 451 words, post on www.thestar.com.my at August 1, 2021. This is cached page on Asean News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.